- Start saving the crusts from bread and any leftover buns. Breadcrumbs can be as much as 2.40 a pound, Why pay that for someone else's dry bread? I put bread crusts on a sheet pan and leave them on the counter for a bit. Then I put them on a cold oven and let get dry. Break them up and pulse on a food processor. When I didn't have a food processor, I went outside with a box grater and a sheet pan. The birds got the flying crumbs left over.
- Make your own pizza sauce. Until I watched some grocery hauls, I didn't know that there was a thing called pizza sauce. I buy small cans of tomato sauce when they are about .25. I use part of one and add Italian seasoning to it. The remainder I freeze for another pizza or put in meatballs or loaf.
- Put two ( or more ) snack or quart bags in the freezer door. When you are chopping anything that can go on a pizza. Chop a little more and place in a " vegetable bag". Ditto cooked meat. I put meat on its separate bag. When you have enough, make individual pizzas.
- Save the little bits and pieces of cheese and make 4 cheese Mac and cheese.
- Research mix recipes ( see older blogs) and start making one mix at a time to replace any mixes you usually buy. Ranch dressing is the one of the easiest.
Five easy hacks.