Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Tuesday notes

Hey, the washing machine quit.  We knew that it was on borrowed time.   My hubby and his bro took the old one to the recyclers and my hubby bought a new top load maytag.    I finished all the laundry yesterday while I binge watched ion.  My son took granddaughter to the lake with the rowboat.   She was so excited.  I did do the kitchen management.   LOL.  Having a schedule keeps you going when you not have a job to keep you going.    Otherwise, I could putts around all day and not feel like I accomplished anything.   I grew up with the mantra.that the only right we have is the right to be useful.

At nine yo we started doing the dishes.  My sister washed and I dried.   No dishwasher those days.   I was slow drying.    My sister called me a pedestrian .  I thought it was a really nasty word!  LOL.
That's when we learned to bake too.

At thirteen we got her old iron, and she got a new one.   We got to iron our own clothes.    The clothes those day were cotton.   You put them in a plastic bag with a zipper, wet.   If you didnt get to the ironing fasts enough , they molded and you started over.   Gym shorts were navy blue and you wore a white cotton button shirt that had to be ironed.   The rest wasn't bad, I had two dresses, one blue gingham and one green,  Same style.   I asked for clothes for christmas.   Most kids would expect school clothes in September.   We weren't poor my mother just had priorities.   Clothes and entertainment  and toys weren't on the list.

We grew up not to be disappointed if we didnt have tthe world on a silver platter.  And, I learned how to be frugal.   There are times when frugal is necessary, and there are time when it is a window to getting something you want or a better life.  










No comments:

Post a Comment