Saturday, June 23, 2012

It's Junuary...let's talk about soup!

Soup is one of the easiest things to learn to cook. Canned soup is getting so pricy that even at today's prices, you can make enough soup for two meals for little more than the price of a can of soup.

That being said, I keep a stock of tomato, chicken noodle, and cream of mushroom. I only buy it if I can get it for .50 cents a can. I buy boxed tomato soup when I can get it for 6 for ten dollars. It is about 3.50 each at the grocery store, but sometimes Costco has it. I also find some soups at the grocery outlet. When I can get squash soup for 1.39, I get it. It takes hours to make squash soup. Yummy. Mushroom soup is a good base for vegetarian soup.

Save the ends of veggies and use them to make stock. Either vegetable stock, or chicken stock with the bones from a chicken you have deboned. Then pressure cooker is a real time saver for this one. The new pressure cookers are safer and shut themselves off.


We have already covered split pea and sausage bean soup. Generally, there are two kinds of soup--cream soups and stock based soups. Cream soups are cooked quickly on top of the stove. Stock based soups are either done on top of the stove, or can be a "set it and forget it" in the crockpot. Best to use cooked meat in the crockpot. I do make spareribs and pot roast.
If you see a recipe that calls for a pre made "mix" . Don't disregard ot, substitute fresh ingredients for it.

Lasagna Soup

1/2. Pound ground beef, cooked.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 pkg lasagna dinner mix ( noodles and Italian spice)
I would guess a 7 oz package od mix would have a cup or so of noodles,
and a tbls of spice.

5 cups water
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can corn ( or use 3/4 cup of frozen )

1 small zuchini chopped

Grated parmesan cheese.

In stockpot, sauté onions . Add meat, water, tomatoes and corn. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add noodles and zucchini and simmer for another 10 minutes or until noodles are done. Serve with parmesan cheese.

Note: I get diced tomatoes for .50 cents to .67 cents... Usually at top foods.
I buy a brick of Parma or other hard cheese at Costco. It lasts a long time, just gets better with age. I use a micro plane..it stretches cheese a long ways.

I get canned corn for .50 and frozen corn for 1.00 a package.



I declare this soup week...murphy's law maybe it will bring on the sun. Lol

Thanks for stopping by,

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment