We continue to spend less than our 4,00 a day budget, I did, however, prorate our case of hamburger purchase, Zaycon is out of business .
How did she do that! Meals that are super cheap, especially when you efficient scratch cook
- Beans, rice, and cornbread . Rice in the insta pot is easy. Ditto the beans, Scratch beans and rice save a ton of money, Bagged Reid rice can be 50 cents a serving, Homemade costs .02. Cornbread is another cheap side. My family doesn’t eat cornbread, so we make beer bread. It, too, is really easy,
- Spaghetti w pasta sauce . Sour dough bread takes 10 minutes and costs a quarter.
- Split Pea soup.
- Homemade pizza. Another one that is cheap and easy.
- Bbq chicken (leg portions) and oven fries. Leg portions can be less than a buck a pound. Potatoes are a quarter a pound here, wash potatoes with vinegar water. We have a dedicated brush, cut potatoes in eights, dry with a paper towel. Toss with olive oil and sprinkle with desired seasoning, we use garlic pepper. Place on sheet pan and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes,or until done.
- Mac and cheese, scratch Mac and cheese is easy. Start with a white sauce mix (homemade) add grated cheese. Cook elbow macaroni until done, It takes 2 minutes in the insta pot, quick release, Use a quart of water for a box of pasta. Have been finding Barilla at the DT. Put the Mac and cheese in a baking pan and top with a breadcrumb mixture of breadcrumbs, parmesean cheese and parsley, Bake at 350 until heated through. We use homemade breadcrumbs, real parmesean cheese. You can have real foods and still stay on a low budget.
- Stirfry, Stirfry s t r e t c h e s. A little meat, When you are butchering your bulk meat, you can often set aside bits of meat for stirfry, add veggies and you have a meal. Add rice or top ramen noodles,
- Fried rice,
- Cheeseburger macaroni, Scratch takes no longer than the box and has better and more ingredients, When we dissected a box of mix it had 4.2 ounces of macaroni including the take weight, and a 1.57 ounce package of cheese sauce that didnt have any cheese in it, It did have a whole lot of things that we couldn’t pronounce . The recipe is on the blog.
- Tuna Melts.
- Breakfast for dinner, Pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs, fruit,
The best tip I can give, is to develop a set of meals your family likes that use inexpensive sources of protein, Keep a stock of shelf or freezer safe foods that you will use to cook those meals, buy stocking when prices are low,you can maintain a 4-6 week supply of ingredients and you will avoid the pantry is empty and there is 4 days until payday syndrome. Its a nice place to be. It doesn’t happen overnight,but it can happen.