Thursday, September 12, 2013

Chicken, glorious Chicken

What to do with what you got.

Chicken continues to be a bargain at a buck a pound. There are chicken recipes every where you turn. To so a bland tasting meat that takes on different flavors well which makes it a very versatile meat.

I had found a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Pizza. basically it is made with ranch dressing for a base, blue cheese crumbles, chicken cubes or bite sized pieces tossed with a little melted butter an hot pepper sauce. Mgarnishnwith red pepper chopped, mushrooms, or black olives.

chicken pot pie
Roast Chicken Sunday Dinner
BBQd thighs and legs

chicken Cesar salad ,
Chicken chop salad

Never buy a chicken that is less than three pounds.
I roast it off , rubbing olive oil on the skin and stuffing it with anything I have hanging around, Apple, inion, lemon, orange. If I am feeling ambitious, I put fresh herbs under the skin.

I use a chicken breast for one meal. Save one for another and separate the dark meat for a third meal and bag them for the freezer. The bones go into a bag for stock.

When I bought grill packs, I deboned the breasts, saved the bones for stock. I zit the rest of the hindquarters in a
Pot with water and veggies and simmered them off. When they were a little cool, I strained the broth and froze it, and shredded the rest of the meat. That gave me boneless, skinless chicken breasts for a dollar a pound-- sweet!

I have only covered the tip of the iceberg, the Betty Crocker web site has a lot more. It is a good source for ideas.

What chicken ideas do you have? There is a comment section below!

I had double shifts yesterday and today. We had BBQd beef sandwiches and leftover pasta salad. My boss brought us vine ripe tomatoes from her garden-- best tomatoes I have ever eaten.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to tell you I appreciate your blog! I recently found you. I am close to your age, but divorced after 28 years. I had a big drop in income but grateful for what I have and the same skills you learned in the 70's and the years after. We lived in our means, saved and I always cooked, froze half and TG I did.. or I would not have come out as well as I did in a divorce. I try and live and eat well for less, and help others in divorce thrive. So I enjoy your ideas and plans and though just me, and sometimes a BF and guests, I do so similar to you.. and I am going to buy a big chub of ground beef at Sams like you do at Costco, IF the prices pan out. Your blog gave me that push.. though I did unplug my upright freezer being alone! Please keep writing, I am alone and look forward to your cheery thoughts each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Chicken Pot Pie. I do buy at aldis the premade crusts if on sale, though homemade may be cheaper. I freeze extra carrots, celery and use frozen peas and lots of chicken. Flour and milk an chicken broth in filling. Whole chickens are 89 cents a lb at Sams. I sometimes use a cooked giant one from Sams, as they are often about 99 cents a lb. I use it salads, an apple chicken salad with dried cramberries!

    ReplyDelete