Sunday, October 9, 2016

Meal plans.

The first step in meal planning is to take a quick inventory and note anything near a pull date or that looks like it needs eating soon.

Next, use a matrix to assure variety of meals.    So,e people use a theme based matrix, some a protein based matrix,  whatever works for you.   It's important to have a plan, even though you might not always use the plan.   Yesterday I went to Safeways to get a few things that were on sale.  I foimd so,e I had t seen, and had coupons to make things better, and I found shrimp with yesterday's pull date at 1/2 off.   We were supposed to have salmon for dinner, it wasn't much of a stretch to substitute shrimp.   I was already 1/2 way there when I had to go to the imaging clinic.    I don't travel ten miles to save .25.   LOL.

I digress - meal plans -  not nexessarily on order


  • Sweet and sour chicken , rice, mandarin oranges 
  • Pizza 
  • Chicken tortilla soup 
  • Sausage and saurkraut , apples and bread 
  • Speghetti and meatballs , French bread 
  • Split pea soup , crescents
  • Breakfast 4 dinner 

Notes :   A batch of chicken breasts can be cooked at the same time for sweet and sour chicken and chicken tortilla soup.    I'm still working on dollar a pound chicken.    

Pizza is veggie 

Sausage was bought for a dollar.   Apples cut the sharpness of the saurkraut.    Bread sticks can be made from pizza dough easily.   Make dough. Let rise once ( 10 minutes.) flatten out in a baking sheet with sides,  dish with melted butter or oilive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder and oak cheese.  Bake as pizza dough.  Slice into sticks with a pizza cutter.    

Speghetti and meatballs.  Meatballs are already cooked.  Speghetti sauce is as cheap as .58 and never more than a dollar on glass or .88 on cans.   Orontonsoegjetti was .75 with coupons.   

Tuna  casserole.     I have been weighing out the noodles, with only three of us eating them, I have been making a 8x8  pan of a casserole instead of the 9x13.   Less waste.    I got albacore tuna , wild caught for 1.25 at grocery outlet.    I make my own cream sauce mix, and cook whole carrots.   

Breakfast for dinner is a given.    Scrambelled eggs, fruit and some kind of starch: pancakes, waffles, English muffins ( cheapest at FM) or regular muffins,    Muffins can be made for less than a dollar.    It a good take and go breakfast too.    


Four dollar a day budgets allow for a dollar a plate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and a dollar for snacks and staples like oil, flour  etc.    

My breakfast consists of a bowl oatmeal made from a bulk oatmeal box from Costco and a banana.   I got a cog box of ancient grains cereal on a sale at grocery outlet o might swap out for some variety.   Less than .50 including the banana.   Bananas are cheapest at Costco.   Look formwhole hands, not singles put on the bag.   Most bags I have found are closer to 3.5 pounds,   If they add 1 banana they are going to be closer to the three pounds.   

Lunch is leftovers or a sandwich or soup,    I got chicken noodle for .45 and progresso  chinky for .75 

That will feed two of us with crackers or bread.  

Having less expensive lunches frees up money for a stock.  Stocking is the  backbone of eating on the cheap.   Good food cheap -  not cheap food.  










1 comment:

  1. Great meal ideas! I am always grateful to get some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete