Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Notes

Carrots continue to be an inexpeñsive vegetable. One of the ways I found to cook them is to add red or new potatoes and any other root veggies I have and roast them in the oven with olive oil and salt and pepper, or rosemary or parmesean.


Carrot Soup

1/2 cup chopped onion
Butter
3 cups chopped carrots
3cups vegetable broth
2T uncooked rice
1/2 cup cream
2T tomato paste
Salt, pepper

Cook onion in butter. Add carrots, stock and rice.
Cover, and simmer until carrots and rice are tender.
Cool. Process in food processor.

Return to pan. Add cream, tomato paste, salt and pepper.

Back in the 80s, compound butters were popular. I think the recipes are on an earlier post. It seems that they are coming back. It is a easy way to add life to a sandwich. Bump up the old Dagwood. My children used to love Dagwood sandwiches. Make them a little more sophisticated.

With the goings on with the drought and congress, it seems to me that a whole lot more people are going to get on the cheap bandwagon. It sounds like a whole lot of people are going to loose funding which translates to less jobs. Just what we need. ( I'm being sarcastic. ).

Eating on the cheap doesn't have to be unhealthy or time consuming.

I do this blog for free. Many others have made millions, yes, millions telling people to cut their toilet paper in half and feed their kids cheap hotdogs and cheese pizza. I am doing this blog so that people in the same boat I was years ago can feed their kids adequate meals on a disastrous budget. I wasn't lazy, I went to work everyday. Day care took 1/2 my wages, and housing took the other 1/2. I was not on welfare. Something good came out of it. I took what I had learned from my mother and read everything I could to learn more. I'm trying to pass on what I learned to people in need. It is not good for child's sense of security to not have food in the house at the end of the month. Anyone can live on the food stamp allotment if they shop wisely. They can't do it buying sodium potato chips and cheese sauce for 13.28 a pound that doesn't have any cheese in it.

That being said, I have found that some people read this blog for the time saving tips, or for a new idea for dinner. Or, just because they don't believe in wasting money. Face it, who can't use an extra few thousand dollars in the bank??

Back when I was first divorced in the mid seventies, I had twenty five dollars left one month for food. Desperate times called for desperate measures. I bought .35 worth of liver and cooked it with tomato sauce and peppers like my mother had. I called my three year old to dinner. I cut it up in small pieces so he could eat it himself. he looked at it and said " what's this?". Not wanting to sway his opinion by any rumors he had heard at daycare, I looked him straight in the eye and said " meat.". He took a bite, and chewed it, and looked at me and said " well, it ain't hamburger! Years later, We had liver once a week, because he liked it. Back in the 70s it was good for you!! LOL


Thanks for stoppimg by

Please share

Jane







No comments:

Post a Comment