Saturday, August 1, 2015

Four dollars per person,, really!

First of all, if I had four dollars a day per person for food. I would think I have died and went to heaven!    If I spent that on food we wouldn't have enough to pay for meds or anything else for that matter.    I spend more now than  I did a year ago, basically because food has gone up.   That is  112.00 per week, I spend close to 80.00 and  have stock left over.   Our pantry I almost always full alon(with the freezer.

  It's not about cooking everything from scratch every day, but more about shopping wisely.   Spend more time shopping and less time cooking.   Not necessarily,buying ready made with a lot of preservatives, it's more about not  paying the F word (full price) for anything.

 Portion control.  No kid needs to eat the majority of a three pound roast. It's not even healthy. The latest information I have heard is that we need  six ounces of protein day and part of that should be eggs.    ( remember when eggs were a no no and bad for you.?) my motto, moderation.

Meal plans and their cost.   Based on Seattle prices...according to stats, Seattle and New York have some of the highest COL.   

  1. Shrimp stir fry, rice.  (7.00)
  2. Eggs, hash browns, berries, biscuit (5.00)
  3. Homemade Mac and cheese, peas and carrots (frozen) (2.84) 
  4. Hamburgers, corn on cob (1/2 per serving) non GMO, salad (5.30) *
  5. Taco casserole , lettuce and tomato . 3.00
  6. Ham and scalloped potatoes, chopped broccoli. ( 2.75) 
  7. Chicken soup, cheese biscuits.(  2.60)
* sloppy joes would run cheaper.   
Total cost   28.49.   


No comments:

Post a Comment