Monday, January 28, 2013

Monday madness

It's Monday. We went to world market yesterday because I got a coupon for 49 percent off. My husband likes their fancy olives. We had to go for some supplies at Michaels too. I try to group my trips so that we use less gas. We stopped by Grocery outlet on the way home. I got feta cheese with roasted red peppers and basil, pepperoni with cheese, and my husband got bacon for a buck a pound. He came home and cooked it on the George Foreman. I like to use a little bacon in some things for flavor. One slice of bacon in a dish cam make a real difference. They have a wide variety of cheeses for a reasonable price. They had 32 ounce jars of mayo too, but their pull date was Jan 11---too far out of date to make it safe in my book. Wen can freeze the cooked bacon and pull it out when we need it. You never know what you are going to find-- not everything is full of sodium.LOL. they have good prices on other things too.

I think my point is that I am cognizant of prices where ever we go.Good prices on food can be everywhere. Often times good buys can be in stores who's main focus is not food. I watch pull dates and brands.

I had always gone grocery shopping by myself. Since we have been retired, my husband goes with me. He also went with me when we were both out of work. I didn't think he was paying attention to anything as he wheeled the cart around. One day we were at a store and there was and end cap with 8 ounce cans of tomato sauce for .25. He said, that's not on sale, we paid .10 last week for them. Boy, was I surprised!

A bit of a splurge, but sometimes Bartells has artichokes on sale. The price of tuna balances it.

Tuna melt on English Muffins

1/2 cup artichokes, drained and rinsed
1/4 sliced green onions
1-T lemon juice
1tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1can tuna, drained and flaked

2 English muffins, split and toasted
1-1/2 ounces of grated provolone or sharp cheddar.

Preheat broiler5
Combine first 7 ingredients and a dash of pepper.
Divide evenly among English muffin halves
Sprinkle with cheese.
Place on baking sheet. Boil 4 minutes until golden.

Serves 2

Notes

This calls for canned artichokes. Artichokes in a jar are cheaper.
Just. Don't use the oil. If I didn't have green onion, I would use some onion powder and parsley. English muffins are at the bread store often.Sometimes they are on sale 2 for at the regular chains.

I also read Panini with chickpea spread and sautéed spinach. itncaught my eye because I got garbanzo beans for .50 last week.

Process 3/4 cup garbanzo beans
2T lemon juice
2tsp capers
1 T water

Combine in a food processor until blended.

Sauté spinach on 2tsp olive oil. Add dash of pepper and 1tsp garlic minced.
slice sub rolls lengthwise. Fill sandwich with a layer of bean mixture and a layer of spinach. Top.

This would also taste good with thinly sliced chicken or pork and maybe a little white cheese.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane






No comments:

Post a Comment