Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Terrific Tuesday: winter veggies

I thought we could talk about winter veggies. We do resort to a lot more fruit in the winter.  None the less, root vegetables are a food substitute for summer veggies.  Carrots can be glazed, a nice addition to a chicken dinner.

You can oven roast almost any root vegetable.  I cut veggies I'm approximately,a rely the same thickness, drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them woth salt and pepper,or a little rosemary.
Bake at 350-375 until they are done - about 20 minutes or so depending on the size of your veggies.  I use any combo of red potatoes, turnips, rutabagas. Onion, radishes, carrots,

We like sauerkraut. It is cheapest at Big lots.  I tried to make our own once, but my husband didn't like ot.  He likes sauerkraut,but not cabbage.  My mother used to fry cabbage with some bacon.
It was really good.

We also resort to frozen veggies.  Stir fry veggies are at the dollar store and you can add some chicken pieces with some soy sauce  over noodles or rice.

There is a coupon on last Sundays paper for 1.50 off of two bags of salad.  The last salad I looked at wasn't good, but you may catch a better shipment.  Don't rewash salad.  They did resting, and the salad that was not rewashed  had less germs than the one that was washed.  Go figure.

I just saw a butternut squash and bean chili recipe on Facebook.  I forgot all about squash.  We like acorn squash with butter and brown sugar and cinnamon.  It's really good with meat loaf.  Spaghetti squash is good too.  You can mash it like potatoes, or add rutabagas or turnips to your mashed potatoes.

I guess that's all  I can think of.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment