Thursday, March 13, 2014

Terrific Thursday

Yesterday we did the survey the fridge day.  We had pork chops I took from a pork loin, rice and beans, and fruit salad.

We have a project that has to b done Friday, grocery shopping isn't going to happen. If I was on the habit of going to the store just to buy 1 weeks worth of groceries at a time, we would either be not eating, or having cereal for dinner or, worse yet, going to the drive through.

I'm not seeing much good buys in the ads.  And, I really done like the ads not giving me enough information to make educated decisions and plan my trip before I go.  There should be some law about advertising something without telling a price.

I made rice in the rice cooker.  Had better luck this time than last.  That was Monday and we've been eating off it for three days.  That's about the safe time in my eyes. I'd rather throw a little away than give  someone  a sick stomach or worse.

It came to my attention when I was going through the ads to warn people that sometimes buying a large yogurt ( or other things) is not your best alternative.  Case in point.  Tillamook yogurt or Yoplait are on sale and many times I can find good coupons, sometimes as low as .12.  Buying a 32 ounce carton can open yourself up to no portion control and wasting yogurt.  Sometimes ,  two small items are cheaper than  1 large one.

I recycle as much as I can.  Yogurt containers can become seed starters.  The inside bags of the cereal or a cake mix can become the wax paper between hamburgers or pork chops in the freezer or used to roll out pastry or hold cookies waiting for their time in the oven.  The cardboard can be used for book covers or art projects.

A not of caution, many times I have  found  lately, the grocer or manufacturer will list something in ounces, rather than pounds and ounces.  It makes it harder to recognize a value.  The number is highland you don't stop to figure out that 20 ounces is only 1-1/4 of a pound.  I notice that Costco will list their breakdown as per ounce.  It takes some math to figure out how that translates to per can so you know if it is a bargain or not.  That , sometimes, is a problem when you are being run over by someone else's cart.  Stopping at Costco is a dangerous proposition.  LOL. It's easier to compare prices when you are on a level playing field.  


I guess that's all

Thanks for stopping by

Jane

Please share









No comments:

Post a Comment