Thursday, February 11, 2016

Batch "cooking" pork.

When it comes to pork and batch cooking, I only cook crumbles of pork sausage.   I buy jimmy dean from Costco.    It has been the cheapest price on a three pound log.  

When I can find a half of a pork loin for as low as 1.69-2.00, I bring it home and slice off pool chops, leaving enough for a roast.   I freeze the port chops and cook off the roast for that,nights dinner.( or the next night) leftover roast gets sliced thin for BBQ pork sandwiches or leftovers.    Stir fry works too.  

Sometimes I find a pork tenderloin for five dollars on Safeways five dollar Friday.   I recently got two for five dollars at Winco.   They taste so good.   I just roast them off on the oven,    They don't take very long.  

To recap:   Buying the loss leader and filling in with freezer/ fridge things on weeks when proces aren't being friendly is a way to hav protein with the lowest cost and cooking efficiency,  

Rotate per week using the loss leader and buying enough of that meat to cover that meats meals for a month or six weeks.   Some weeks there may be two loss leaders and some weeks, you might not find any.
I rotate :

  1. Whole chickens my RBP is .87-100 a pound - Foster farms 
  2. Pork loin RBP 1.69-200
  3. Pork sausage , jimmy dean at Costco.- around 250 a pound 
  4. Ground beef - 7-9 percent RBP - 3.25-350.   -
  5. Tilipa - Winco in a bag , shrimp RBP 5.00 at Safeways, tuna from Costco, 
  6. Cheese, grated, Costco RBP is 2.08-2.25 in a five pound bag.  

1) Chicken we eat 1-2 times a week.   Once a week would mean I need a whole chicken a month.   
2) Pork loin and sausage would share once a week.   I would buy a sausage roll every every three months.   ( six meals, shared with a pork loin six meals , is 12 weeks.  Pork loin would be every three months as well.    
3) ground beef we eat twice a week,   Three to four pounds will cover a months meals.   
4) tilapia shares the limelight with tuna, shrimp, amd clams.   I buy a bag when we are out. 
5) we eat a lot of cheese. I buy it when we are running low.   
6) I buy eggs as needed and try for two dozen at a ceiling price of 2.00.   

I rotate on a regular basis : 
Chicken, ground beef, port loin, and rotate the fourth week between cheese, sausage, and a fish.   
We only eat fish once a week.   Once you have stocked, you can skip a week of there are no sales.    

Pre cooking and batch cooking saves time in the kitchen.   Portion controlling protein saves money .   The guidelines I am hearing is that we need six ounces of protein a day and part of that should be 
eggs.    A quarter of our plate should be protein, a quarter should be starch, and 1/2'should be vegetables or fruit.    That's hard to figure with a casserole, but a good rule of thumb.   

Some children would eat all one thing of you let them. portion controlling the meat ( protein) will force them to eat the rest of the plate.    


Next: stair stepping.   





No comments:

Post a Comment