Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Lists - top moneymakers in the kitchen

On appliances...

If you were to ask my husband, he would tell you it was the toaster and the coffee maker.   

As far as money makers, for me it would  be the work hors s that save me time and money .

  • The food processor : Makes breadcrumbs, chops veggies, purées Foods like refried  beans, makes baby food.    
  • The insta pot :  makes meals in minutes without watched no the pot,  of I need to quick release, I take a timer into the room where I am, so I  can return to the kitchen and release the steam.  It also makes rice, beans, refried beans, and soups in minutes, with little effort. Last night we had depression stew.  It took me maybe five minutes.  A can  of beans can cost upwards of a dollar, the cost is about 5 cents.   Ready rice is two dollars of you get it on sale and  the cost of 2 cups of rice is .12.   The cost of chicken noodle soup is 1.58 a single chunky serving.  The cost to make 2 quarts is about 1.69.  
  • Hot air fryer.   This is not  necessarily about dollars saved, but more about frying with no oil.  Instead of deep frying, you can get the same result with either no oil, or a small amount of olive oil.   Much healthier and safer.  Hot boiling oil scares me. 
  • Quick blender. Makes fast work of smoothies and sauces, egg batters. Make a quiche in minutes.
  • Slow-cooker.   There is something really special about waking up to chicken stock some while you sleep or coming home to a hot cooked dinner you haven’t stood in your feet for an hour to cook.   The smell when you open the front door is divine.   Then there is chocolate decadence!  Enough said .
  • Waffle iron - much cheaper waffles than their frozen counterparts. 
  • Kitchen aid mixer.   I have one, I don’t use it a lot, I do use it for big batches of pizza dough and at Christmas when I make cookies, ands to grind my own meat if it makes sense.   If a hunk of beef is cheaper than ground beef, making your own ground beef or pork makes sense and you can control the fat.   Making your own sausage without nitrates is good too.   Often you can get pork sirloin for 1.69.  That may change in current months, but it’s worth keeping an eye on pork prices.   

No comments:

Post a Comment