Friday, July 26, 2013

Suddenly saturday

Today is the extreme couponing class. If I can sneak in a blog,I will, if not, I'll post after we get home. Last nights dinner was home made pizza. We had chicken and black olive on one and pepperoni on the other.

I got a box of blueberries at SAFEWAYS and froze them. We like blueberry banana bread and blueberries are rich in anti-oxidents.

I am over budget, but I have stocked a lot because of stores closing and getting well below target prices. I suspect that next month will compensate for it. I still averaged 70.00 last quarter and under 75.00 the quarter before.

The object is not to pay full price, and not have so much that anything goes to waste, that takes some food management to see something that needs to be used up and incorporate it into your meals, even I'd you have to change your plans. Meal plans can be altered, but you can get into real trouble if you don't have one. It's to easy to fall into the drive through or take out trap if you are tired and hungry and you have no plan and everything is frozen. Having things that cook quickly and defrost quickly save the day.

Chicken cubes, taco meat and hamburger crumbles work fast in a pinch as well as eggs.

My daughter and I dissected a hamburger meal box. We did a whole group of blogs on the subject. What came out of it was a scratch recipe for cheeseburger macaroni and a reprint of my no brainer( my nephews description) pasta.

No Brainer Pasta. Named because my nephew when he was single got this recipe and called it a no Brainer because it is so simple.

1) grease ( spray with cooking spray) a 9X13 pan.
2) pour a 1 pound package of UNCOOKED, DRY pasta in the pan. You do have to open the box! LOL
3) open a can of pasta sauce. Add pasta sauce and ONE can full of water to the pan. Stir.
4) cover with foil and cook for 45minutes at 425 degrees or until pasta is tender.
5) uncover, sprinkle with grated cheese and any leftover meat you have and bake at 400 degrees for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Allow a few minutes to rest for the cheese to cool a bit.

Meantime, you can set the table and make a salad. I love passive cooking!

I have been getting pasta as low as .38 and as much as .51. Hunts pasta sauce for .77 and .78.
Cheese is still at 2.18 on a big sale. I have stocked. Use any meat you have left over.
Cost 1.80 plus a left-over meat. ...about the cost of the box alone. I paid over 2.00 for the box.

I have been getting a lot of good recipes from Betty Crocker. I signed up for them on her website and they come in my e mail. The Betty Crocker web site also has coupons and a ap where you can google an ingredient
you need to use up and it tells you recipes that call for it. A real useful tool.

I guess that's all,

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment