Saturday, November 9, 2013

Saturday

I went to the hair cutting place today.  It had been four months...about time!  I discovered that my husband can get a haircut Monday for free.  That's two haircuts for 14.00.  ...not too bad!   I then went  to the GW and found to princess books and a lets go potty book for grandbaby.  Three books that total 24.00 , 2.60 including our almost ten percent tax!  

I went to QFC   ,Mega  deals. With coupons I saved just about 1/2.  Twenty four bucks.  On to Top where their mega deals netted pasta sauce for .50 and refried beans for .50.  Along with fruit and veggies.  Another almost fifty percent savings.  You can eat spaghetti and red sauce for a buck for four people, or you can pay full price and pay 5.00.  That's one meal, or five.  Of you have a very tight budget, five is a lot better than one.  Chili was a buck, , and I had. .55 coupons.  And they had vegetarian and turkey.

We have a variety of foods in the pantry, freezer, and fridge and we are well under budget.
I got a lot accomplished with little gas and time.

Again, my harping point.  Know your prices.  If you can't remember, write them done in a little book, or on a 3X5 index card.  It will serve you well.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane

2 comments:

  1. I also have been sick, and spent one day in bed, and could do nothing, except listen to the radio. I have not been this sick in ages.. and I so hope you are feeling better. I wanted to comment on the double coupon by state. The state has nothing to do with whether a store offers that or not, it is a store policy only. What a state does have to do with in grocery prices is the minimum markup law. Some states have it, some do not. What is means is that a grocery store can not by law not sell an item below what they paid for it, the minimum price. Minimum Markup Law," is a general trade practice regulation prohibiting sales below cost. The law considers the practice of selling below cost to attract patronage a form of deceptive advertising which diverts business from retailers who maintain a fair pricing policy, ultimately resulting in lessened competition and market disruption. Not all states have it, but they do where I live. It may not seem like it when you read it, but it does protect the consumer, because it encourages competition amongst retailers. It also protects smaller retailers who can not compete with huge chains prices, which is the case in many rural areas or inner city areas that may not have competitive prices or many stores to choose from. I often use soda as an example. I worked not for, but in WM for a time. I asked if a 2 liter bottle of soda was selling for 89 cents, what was the profit on it? 5 cents I was told, because they could buy in volume from Coke or whomever, the sheer amount nationwide that they purchased. BUT they could not sell it for less than 84 cents because of their undue advantage.. and it may not seem like it to us, but the markup and profit on groceries is not that much. Think of a huge floor display of 100 or more 2 liters of soda out in aisle. The profit on those 100 bottles is 6.00! That is why those are called " loss" leaders. To get you in the store, and if you are smart and thrifty, to your advantage. Grocery stores make their money in volume. If there was no MML in some states, there would be much no competition, huge chains would eventually have a monopoly and therefore be able to set the prices, usually higher after they drove everyone out of business! I saw this when the state next to ours, who does not have MML, sold turkeys for 29 cents a lb one fall, but the WM in this state, could not, it was 39 cents a lb, which is what they paid for it. Jennie O offered that deal to all retailers in the state, so the price was 39 cents for all retailers who wanted to offer it at cost. SO the small store could offer 39 cents also, as a loss leader. It keeps the food vendors competitive also. I may not be explaining exactly, but that is the lay persons version. I personally like being able to pick from many retailers to shop, get the deals, and not be limited to one or two! Sue.. I will split this post


    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your comments,Sue. I have no grocery store experience, I worked for a wholesaler ( non profit) that helped small suppliers get their product to market.

    ReplyDelete