Sunday, July 5, 2015

re writing the book!

You can take almost  any recipe and remake it to suit your needs.  I have noticed with my daughter that she thinks she needs  exactly what a recipe calls for.   Not so.   You can adjust a recipe and sometimes make it better than the original.   There is a recipe circulating on social media for meat lovers Mac  and cheese.   It's got a bit too much meat to suit me and therefore , not a good on the cheap recipe.  

Use either /or a combination of leftover meat to total about 1/3 a pound for four servings

  • Cooked hamburger 
  • Pepperoni
  • Bacon 

Cook 1/2 a pound of shell macaroni until done, drain.
Meanwhile, make 1 cup of white sauce.   ( 1 T fat, 1T flour, and 1 cup milk.   Or use my white sauce mix.  
Add six  ounces of grated cheese of your choice ( 1/2 cup or so) or a combination of cheeses enough to make sauce cheesy.

Pour sauce over drained pasta in a baking dish. Stir in cooked meat.   Top with a couple of chopped green onions.  

Bake at 375 until bubbly.

Serves 4 .

I would add some frozen mixed vegetables to round out the meal.  


Notes :

  • I never lay full price for pasta .  I have paid as little as .38 a pound with a coupon for the blue box, double fiber    
  • Mixed veggies are .99 at Fred Meyers and there is a .2o Ibotta on them.  
  • My white sauce mix recipe is on a older post.   Less fat, less salt.   
  • Grated cheese is as low as 2.00 a pound at grocery outlet or 2.30 or so at business Costco.   If I can't find it cheap, I use blocks of cheese I find on sale.   Great it and sprinkle with about a tablespoon of cornstarch per 2 pound Brick   A mixture of cheeses is best.   
  • Save hamburger from your portion controlled bulk meat purchases. 
  • Turkey bacon is at the dollar store and there is an Ibotta on it if I'm remembering right   
  • There are coupons for a dollar off two normal pepperoni and you can get them at the dollar store   
Pasta.   .19
Cheese .50 
White sauce mix takes water 
1/2 pkg pepperoni .25 
Green onion @.59 bunch .10

Total cost 1.05.   

Knowing your prices and getting things at the RBP is worth the effort of you are trying to stretch a budget.   



No comments:

Post a Comment