Thursday, July 7, 2016

USDA stars

I was researching in my old 1970s cookbook and I found two USDA stars for September 1991 and March 1992.  

The cost of food at home for thrifty then was 46.20 and 47.10 for two adults
The family  cost with two teenagers at that time was 88.00.  I spent fifty and maintained a pantry.

Fast forward twenty five years.... Not that that was fast.  LOL.

The same family sizes would be 168.10. Just about double.  

Our stats for two adults now is 94.27.  add the two girls and it would be 148.10.  We only supplement the girls, and we have a large pantry.  

My yearly total last year was 68.00 a week.  This year it is 63.00 a week.  
The cost of food hasn't gone down, but we have a better variety of stores to choose from.  

We are 33 percent under the USDA stats for thrifty considering my husband and I not considering that I supplement the girls.  

For dollar a day for three of us would be 84.00.  We spend 63.00. Difference is 25 percent less.  

Just a breakdown..... Boring numbers.  



No comments:

Post a Comment