I seem ro find more chicken recipes than I do any other meat-- except maybe ground beef.Probably because it is a favorite and it is less expensive than any other meat.
It's rumored that it is better for you. I don't exactly buy into that. Many cuts of beef when cooked properly nave less or the same fat as chicken. I have seen people with only chicken and pork end up anemic. I think that moderation is the key unless your doctor tells you different.
Now, Freezer chicken.
Chickens totaling 7-9 pounds.
2 stalks celery,rough cut
2 carrots,rough cut
1medium onion, sliced
2 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups water
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1) place chicken in a six quart soup pot and cover with water. Add vegetables and salt and pepper.
2) heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done. About 45 minutes. Remove chicken from broth. Refrigerate until cool.
3) remove chicken from bones and skin. Cut into pieces. Return to refrigerator.
4) strain broth. Place 6 cups in saucepan. Shake water, flour, salt and pepper in container with a TIGHT-fitting lid. ( a jar, a lock and lock. )
gradually stir into broth. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir one minute.
5) divide chicken pieces into freezer containers. use two cups chicken each in quart containers. Pour two cups gravy over each. Cover and freeze.
Makes chicken a la king or the base for chicken pot pie, chicken broccoli, or chicken chowder.
1 container freezer chicken
1six ounce package frozen hash browns.
6 cups milk
1/2 tsp paprika
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled ( optional for garnish)
2)Thaw chicken either in microwave on the thaw cycle, or in the refrigerator.
3) put in pan and add hash browns and the can of corn ( don't drain the can )
Add milk, seasonings and heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until the potatoes are tender. About 20 minutes.
NOTE. You could also use a couple of potatoes that were diced .
CHICKEN A LA KING
1 container chicken
1 can mushroom stems and pieces
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1) thaw chicken ( in the microwave or in the refrigerator.
In pan, add chicken, mushrooms , and vegetables . Heat to boiling, reduce heat and simmer until veggies are done. Stir in wine. Serve over rice. Garnish with almonds
to make chicken pot pie, make above recipe adding frozen peas and carrots until you get to the bringing to a boil part. After bringing it to a boil, place mixture in a casserole dish and top with a bisquick crust. ( see the bisquick label or prior post. Bake off the crust.
1 container chicken
1cup sour cream
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
1 pound broccoli, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup Parma
1) thaw chicken . Put in pan and heat to boiling. Add Sour cream, olives and nutmeg. Heat just to warm.
2) cook broccoli and drain.
3) place broccoli ima broil proof baking dish.
Pour chicken over it.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Broil 3-5 inches from heat about 5 minutes, cheese will be brown.
Thanks for stopping by
Please share with Facebook or twitter.