1) peel and rough cut a medium or two small onions and put in the bottom of crockpot.
2) make a rub of paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
3) clean out the insides of the chicken. I put it in a colander in the sink. Put some salt in the cavity.
4) put the chicken in the crockpot and coat the chicken with spice rub.
5) put the lid on and cook on high for an hour a pound. ( I cooked the 5.5 pound chicken for six hours)
This makes fantastic stock. I defatted it , added some better than bouillon, chopped celery, carrots, and some of the tomato spaghetti from the other night cut up.
I pulled the chicken from the crockpot and cut to breast portions off. I cut off the legs and thighs and wings and put them in a Ziploc bag for the freezer. I put each breast in a separate bag. With the rest of the carcass , I picked the meat and put it in the soup pot.
I served the soup with Italian bread made with parmesean cheese and peppercorns.
Easy, and a lot of passive cooking,
I will get three other meals from the 5.50 chicken plus a lunch-about 1.40 a meal .
I will also make
Chicken pot pie from 1/2 a chicken breast, mixed veggies, white sauce made from a homemade mix. And Bisquick.
BBQ thighs and legs ( put BBQ sauce on thawed chicken that has been heated on the microwave for 2 min or so. Broil in oven. Serve with French fries and fruit or green salad .
Sliced chicken breast, mashed sweet potatoes , peas and carrots.
4 meals for three ( daughter is a vegetarian) for 5.50.
Thanks for stopping by.