Monday, July 30, 2012

It Figures !

Here I go with figures again.  Bet you can't guess that I was an accountant in my former life!  2003 United State Department of Agriculture stats on a family of four for food shopping is 107.70.  That's almost ten years ago and that was for a "Thrifty Meal Plan". We are talking less than 75 dollars a week.  We have opted for meatless meals a couple of nights a week, and smaller portions of meat.
Times have changed and the 8 ounce steak is really a thing of the past. 

Thrifty shopping and scratch cooking is the key.  I opted to spend more time shopping wisely, and less time in the kitchen.  You can still cook from scratch and not slave over a hot stove for hours. 
If that's your hobby and you enjoy it, go for it.  But, I can "make" more money shopping than I can
cooking. 

Staples are purchased at rock bottom prices, but  I don't count them in when I price meals.  I do count them in when I post my grocery receipts.  I do not count in coffee or snack foods. I don't usually buy any exotic foods .  I try to keep servings to the amount we are going to eat, unless I can use the leftovers for lunch the next day. 

We have set dollar amounts....2.25 per pound for meat...(average) and 1.00 per pound for veggies.  This is getting harder and harder.  Sausage has just jumped from 6.13 for three pounds to 6.89.  I suspect with the drought, it won't be the only thing that jumps up in price.  The realitive word here is ADJUST. 

Make meals that your family will eat.  It doesn't save any money if your family doesn't eat it. 
That doesn't mean that you have to cook pizza every night.  If you have a picky eater, they will just have to get over it.  We were not allowed to be a picky eater when we were growing up.  Dinner was on the table.  Take it or leave it.  There was always breakfast in the morning.  Consequently, we ate liver (it was good for us in the 50's LOL) and anything else that came our way. 

Lets Talk Main Dishes. 

Enchiladas

1 cup Taco Meat ( Ground beef with taco seasoning) 
4 large flour tortillas
1 can refried beans
1/2 cup cooked rice
Salsa
Sour cream , divided
2T mayonaise
1 cup mexican shredded cheese , divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9X13 pan with cooking spray.
Warm taco meat in microwave .  Assemble enchiladas . Place 1/4 of the filling in the center of each tortilla.  Continue with the refried beans , rice, sour cream, and l/2 cup of the cheese.   Fold the ends in and roll the tortilla to form a "package".  Plase seam side down in pan. 

Mix salsa, sour cream, and mayo and spread over enchiladas .  Cover pan with foil and bake 25 minutes.  Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake an additional 3-5 minutes until cheese has melted. 

By planning meals, making best use of food in season, and shopping wisely you can eat well on less money. 

Thanks for stopping by

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment