Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer in the great pacific nw.

Well it's supposed to be summer but it has rained and been cold everyday this week.
We are still having winter foods.

Let's talk about using up and managing the refrigerator. Every day or so survey the refer and incorporate anything that is approaching it's lifespan into your meal before it expires. Can it be frozen ? Can you make veggie stock? Do you need to make banana bread. Betty crocker has a good recipe for banana blueberry bread that has some oatmeal in it. You can use fresh or frozen blueberries.

Bread can be dried for breadcrumbs. Apples can be applesauce. Veggies can be stock.
Not letting your fresh foods get away from you is a good way to stretch your dollars, and as our grandmothers would say, not wasting food.

Children should know that soup doesn't come out of a can. Or that Mac and cheese doesn't come out of a box. I can remember when my husband and I were both out of work, we were economizing. I started soup bones early one Sunday morning. My young son took a look at the pot and asked what that was. Soup I informed him. Well, hebsaid it doesn't look like soup. I said " trust me it will by dinner time.". All day I stocked the pot and by the time dinner time was there, it was soup and a loaf of bread was on the table.

I guess he was amazed and astounded??? He went to school and told his teacher. His teacher (thank you teacher) said home made soup is so much better than canned soup.


A lot of this is either set it and forget it cooking, or something that an be done quickly in the microwave you do other chores in the kitchen.

It's all about shopping wisely and getting out of the kitchen quickly unless you have the time and want to cook all day.

Thanks for stopping by...

Please leave a comment and tell me what you want to hear about.

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment