Friday, February 7, 2014

Finally Friday...that dreaded S word.

That dreaded s word...scratch!   A thrifty budget has not much room for ready made and boxed food.  You are paying a lot of money for convenience in most cases.

That being said, there are a few things that lately have been cheaper than or the same price as scratch when you use a coupon and find a sale.  HORMEL sirloin tips come to mind,  I can't say that they are a lot better than homemade in taste, but I got them for 2.99 for almost a pound and sirloin is hard to fond for under three dollars a pound these days.  It makes for a really fast dinner on a pinch.  I can get dinner on the table in six minutes flat.  LOL

But, mostly, scratch is the word of the day.  Scratch cooking conjers up pictures of women in 1950s bib aprons with flour on their foreheads!  LOL.  It doesn't have to be a labourous task.  There are many tips and secrets of meals that are tasty and easy to prepare.

The slow cooker can be your best friend.  They are realitively  inexpensive ans if you don't already have one, you can probably find  one at an estate sale cheap.  They can save a lot of time. I see a
Sauce for slow cookers advertised.  Usually, they cost more than the meat you use them with.m it only takes a few minutes to make the sauce yourself.  There are many recipes put there.  Betty Crocker will send you receipes via e mail every week if you sign up on er web site.  They also send you coupons with large dollar values.

Pre cooking your meat takes a lot of stress off of the dinner hour.  Whole chicken is inexpensive often on sale.  I have been getting it for anywhere from .50 to a dollar a pound. Deli chicken is NEVER A BARGAIN.  Never buy a chicken that is less than three pounds.  That is the break even point for the bone to meat ratio.  If you buy a chicken that os under three pounds,  you are paying too much momey for bone and getting too little meat.  Closer to five pounds is better.  It only takes me about


ten minutes to get a chicken in the oven.  The rest of the cooking time is passive cooking and you can go about your business doing other things. If you do the math, you are being compensated a healthy hourly " wage" for your time. I realize that is a concept some people can't grasp-- virtual wages!  We use it as a tool to figure if scratch cooking is worth our while.  If I make things from scratch, I want it to be worth my while on money saved or taste.  Most things are a lot cheaper from scratch.

Take pudding, for example. The cooked pudding takes the same amount of time as the kind out of a box.  Most mixes you buy have recipes for them on the Internet.  My baking mix recipe takes shortening and dry milk. At the cost of dry milk these days I am. Ot sure it os cheaper than buying bisquick from Costco.  I make several recipes from bisquick that we like and it is easy.  We like impossible pie, beer bread, and banana, oatmeal, blueberry bread.

I have been "buying" recipe starter lately.  It has been free at the dollar store lately with coupons.  It is 2.59 at SAFEWAYS. Even at the .50 that the dollar store charges, it is cheaper than making white sauce from scratch. Our dollar store is almost out, but others might not be.  They are coming out with a pouch instead of a can, so my guess is when they are gone, they are gone.
Otherwise, I make my own.

Pasta sauce from hunts is cheaper when purchased at my target price than buying the tomato sauce and making it from scratch.

I buy canned refried beans and beans on sale.  At fifty cents, unless you buy mass quantities bulk, it is the same price as scratch.  Rice and beans have a short fridge life, and most people say they don't freeze well.  It is  just makes a lot more sense with the amount of beans we eat.

Soup from scratch on the crockpot is a very good economy dish that takes little time. Canned soups are becoming very expensive.  You can almost make a whole pot for the cost of a can of soup.  I used to always use cream of mushroom soup for a sauce base. It  has gotten too expensive and I rarely find a good sale to march with a coupon.  Last November I got cream of mushroom for .30 in a limited amount with a store coupon and a manufacturers coupon.  It was a rarity. There is a recipe for cream soup base on the Internet.  I made some, but haven't had an occasion to use it.

By carefully picking your main dishes, you can come up with meals that scratch cook fast and easy.

Thanks for stopping.

Please share

Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment