Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday madness- meal plans

We had a wonderful night last night.  The Seahawks won-- big time.  Yeah!    Good food, Good friends.

On to matters at hand.  The  next installment of groceries on the cheap.  The last part of planning and organizing is meal plans.  I can hear the dreaded really!   It is important because without a plan , the temptation to go to the drive through or order pizza is too great when you have had a hard trying day and the last thing you want at the moment is to set out and cook dinner.  If you know it's going to be a busy day,  you can plan to have dinner in the slow cooker or plan an easy dinner.

I have a matrix that I use for meals.  I do ot to afford us a variety of protein and give us balance in our meals. Because I have a limited number of already cooked meats in my freezer, I can pull together a meal from what is on sale that week as far as veggies is concerned and I have basic starch on hand.

My matrix may be different than your matrix, but it makes meal planning easy.  Ours is

2 beef
2 pork or chicken
2 vegetarian
1 fish or shellfish

I do my plans after I come home from the store. I do this because you never  know what you are going to find at the store, or find that the veggies look cruddy or the meat is in too big a package to be believable or just looks bad.  I walked into the store last week and found chicken for .50 a pound-- a good brand.  I bought two.  There is no need to be a pig, let someone else have a bargain too.
This week, I went to Fred Meyers and found white fiber pasta for a buck. Mi had coupons so I got the pasta for .50.  Add that to a .79 can of pasta sauce and some parm or Romano cheese and you have a very cheap meal.  I would add a protein rich dessert in that case.  It makes for a good vegetarian meal.
Protein doesn't have to always take the main star of the dinner.
Being flexible really helps in a quest for cheap dinners.

Having a list of main  dishes in your back pocket, and stocking when prices are low goes a lomg ways in affording your family good food within your budget.

Again, this is not hoarding.  This is stocking for self sufficiency and to save momey.  You are not stacking food to the ceiling, or buying something you can't or won't use.  You are purchasing a few select items that you use on a regular basis.  Just enough of them to last you until you find another sale is about a three to six month supply.

More next installment.  Strategic shopping.

Thanks for stopping by
Please share
Jane






No comments:

Post a Comment