Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday Madness

I have already posted my rite aid saga for the week.  I had a little surprise when I went to the register. I painstakingly bought makeup so as to just spend as close as I could to the fifteen dollars worth to get a ten dollar reward.  It seems they discounted ot without posting that there was a discount.  I was some .96 short and had to go back to the drawing board.  Because I hadn't bought any makeup for a couple of years, it didn't bother me too much, but it was a lesson learned.  I am still a lot of money ahead.  Basicly, I bought 17 cans of chili, and got 2 expensive light bulbs, a package of stay free, seven cans of soup, and makeup for 19.00--  less than the 17 cans of chili would have cost of I went to the store and bought  them full price.  It's a game that takes some effort, true and of you don't like shopping and are lazy, it won't work for you.  But, I only buy what I can use and would buy or need anyway.  The light bulbs are energy saver, I like them, need them, but seven dollars for a bulb is a bit pricy for me.  FREE is a good word when it's something that you need.

Fred Meyers netted us milk, ice cream! And a cake mix.  The diced tomatoes were .50.  If I didn't have my stock of them, I would have bought ten.

I cleaned out the pantry and rotated stock and rearranged to put everything in its own space.  I threw out only a few cans that were hiding under the shelves.  I made it a point to only out the tall pasta sauce under there so we would look under there and it wouldn't be out of sight, out of mind.  While throwing food out is upsetting, I saved so much more money than I would have of I bought just what I needed at full price, it more than compensates.

Cleaning the pantry and putting things on their on space on the shelves gives you a good idea of what stock you have a shortage of.  We, Basicly need black olives and I was short cream of mushroom soup. If  I hadn't got a sale on them, I would have used recipe starter.  We can always do without black olives.  Now I know I can coast with the meat that's on mega sale and the perishables.  I got a large carton of cottage cheese and sour cream at Costco, so I am good for the month.  Butter was bought on bulk, it was two dollars a carton, Winco had for over three dollars.  Costco is good for dairy and bananas. They have such volume, you rarely get stale dated.


  • Identify the stock items you use  on a regular basis.  
  • Buy enough of them to last until they go on sale again.  If you use the item once a week, you need 12-24.  If you use it once a month, you need 3-6.  I keep one ahead of things like catsup, mustard, and mayo.  I usually have a can of sauerkraut.  When I use my backup, I start looking for a sale.  The dollar store is good for mustard and catsup.  
  • Arrange them on shelves in a manner so you can tell at a glance what you are running short of. 
  • Stocking won't happen overnight.  It will take time.  Whenever your stock items are on sale, buy a few extra as your budget will allow.  If you don't have money for them, look realistically at your shopping cart.  Remember junk food is not good for you or your budget.  Oatmeal is much cheaper than four boxes of cold cereal.  Most 
  • Most  cold cereal has no protein and does not stay with you or fill that hallow leg a growing child might have.  Boxed meals often have little food value.  My daughter and I analyzed a hamburger meal box.  The results are remarkable. ( see earlier post) 
Thanks for stopping by
Please share 
Jane 

No comments:

Post a Comment