Thursday, February 13, 2014

Terrific Thursday.

It's Thursday.   Maybe it's  time to talk about what to do with what you got.  One way to stretch your food dollar is to check your fridge often and incorporate what's in there into your meals.  If you are stumped there are web sites that match what you have with recipe ideas.  Betty Crocker is one. But there are more.

Today I have zucchini, carrots, brocolli, cottage cheese, eggs , salsa .

I could make:

  • A quiche with broccoli, chicken and cheese.  
  • A chicken stir fry with carrot, broccoli, red peppers from the freezer . 
  • Baked zucchini chips
  • Stuffed shells with red sauce.  ( using the cottage cheese ) 
  • Chocolate waffles and yogurt parfaits.  
  • Sausage and vegetable bean soup
  • Pepperoni pizza
  • Buffalo chicken pizza
I  always have a rotation of meats.  Chicken, sausage, pork loin, hamburger in the form of crumbles, meatballs, and taco meat.  I will add sliced beef roast for a jus sandwiches when the price goes down to a realistic price.  

Using up what you have is a good way to cut your food costs.  Soup is also a good way to use up bits and pieces.  Sometimes I freeze something before it goes bad, that how I have chopped red peppers in my freezer. I use the door to store the little things so they don't get buried .  

I introduced the concept of almost free pizza.  My co worker didn't hear the word almost... She wanted to know who had free pizza!  LOL.  When you are cooking meals, of you chop a little more of anything at goes on a pizza and put it in a carton in your freezer door, onions, red or green pepper, ( a good way to use the tops of the pepper if you only want the strips) , bits of leftover chicken,  -- anything that you can put on a pizza.  When it comes to pizza night make pizza crust ( recipe on a previous blog) and bake a pizza.  

On a previous blog I have a recipe I made up for no Brainer pasta. ( my nephew named that one ) it's my answer to the meal in a box.  My daughter and I dissected that one, also on a prior blog.  The recipe is super easy,almost no non- passive time.  It makes a ton of dish for very little money.
 
I will try to link or repost the previous blogs.  

Thanks for stopping by 
Please share 
Jane 






No comments:

Post a Comment