Thursday, May 26, 2016

Terrific Thursday

we are having picnic food tonight.  I bought two ears of corn in th cob and we have buns that need to be used.    I plan on corn in the cob, hamburgers  and hot dogs and tomato/cucumber salad.

Last night's dinner,    Sometimes we get onto just cooking and not stopping to cost anything out.   Every once  in a while, I cost things -- it's either the accountant in me, or the fact that I check to see how much on target I am.    

1) hamburger - 1.50
2) lettuce .75 
3) black olives .70
4) tomato .50
Cheese .25 
 Total for salad : 3.70/2 is 1.85 ( 1/2 is leftover for lunch . ) 

Refried beans 
1) beans .40
2) cheese  .25 
3) salsa ..20
Total .85    

This makes the equivalent of two cans of beans for .60 or .30 a can.    The cheese I add to canned as well as homemade refried beans, the added bonus is there is No fat in homemade refried beans,   

Rice : .17 

Total meal 2.87 

Not fried  , refried beans are not time consuming if you use a crock pot or pressure cooker.    I used my food processor  the second time I made them.   The first time I used the potato masher.   
The second time I us d the insta pot recipe and we liked it better.   I added water to reheat them and put cheese on top.    If I hadn't out the cheese on top, I would have covered the beans with vented plastic wrap or a silicone top.    

On a quest to figure out how to make scratch without standing in your feet for hours in the kitchen.    
Efficient cooking is a key in grocery shopping on the cheap.    It's not about cheap food.    It's about good food, cheap.    Spending more time on the front end of shopping and planning, and less time cooking allows you the luxury of 1/2 price meals and an added bonus of a stockpile for emergencies.   

Groceries on the cheap is looking at the Put Dinner On The Table meal train from a different
 Perspective . The  emphasis is on purchasing good food( shelf- stabll/ freezer staples )at the lowest possible cost and purchasing enough to last you until it goes on sale again -- Keeping a controlled non-perishable stock of the things you use on a regular basis. It means that when you shop, rather than purchasing just what you need for a day or a week, you  buy a loss leader protein, produce you will 
need on sale, a stock item if it's a RBP, and dairy instead.    This allows you to put well balanced meals 
on the table consistently  for a four dollar a day budget per person.   You spend more time on the 
planning and shopping end of the meal train and less on the cooking end by cooking efficiently.    

Four dollars a day is the target amount for people on snap.   My premise is that of you can do it on four dollars a day, spending more isn't hard.   You still get more bang for your buck.    


No comments:

Post a Comment