Yesterdays food jaunt saved 1/2. Now, what to do with it.
I took a mental inventory of my fridge and am going to make a weeks meal plans.
1) sausage, corn on the cob, red potatoes, blueberry cobbler for desert.( I fried some of last weeks sausage, microwaved corn om the cob, added potatoes cut in 1-2 to the sausage and cooked them, then added corn, broken into thirds. Sprinkled with parsley.
Corn .67, sausage 1.67, potatoes .30. Blueberries 4.00. 6.64
2) clam chowder, crusty bread. Berry cup. ( blues from this week and others from last)
Use 2 cans of minced clams, potatoes , I slice bacon and milk. The clams were 1 buck a can, the potatoes were ten pounds for 2.00,, the milk was 2.19 a gallon the berries were 11.99 less 20 percent for a 1/2 flat. The bread was from the bread store last week. Frozen. 4.22
3) baked salmon, rice, frozen mixed veggies. Coleslaw. Coleslaw was .79, salmon was 5 bucks, frozen veggies were 1.00 for 12 ounces. Rice was bulk in the pantry. 6.79
4) chicken, green salad, potato salad, coleslaw. 3.79
5) baked breakfast burritos. Taco sauce, sour cream
8 mushrooms, sliced, green onions, green pepper, garlic. Sauté veggies until limp in a T olive oil. Set aside and keep warm. Beat 8 eggs and 1/4 cup sour cream in a bowl. Stir on 1/4 cup Mexican cheese and 3 T taco sauce. Put on a frying pan and cook until eggs are set. Add veggies. Spoon mixture down the center of 4 large flour tortillas. Place seam side down in baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes until cheese has melted.
Low cost: substitute any veggies that sound Tex Mex to you. Any peppers, corn, ?
Eggs were 1.00 a dozen, large red pepper was .79 . I have dried hot peppers. Corn from the three for a dollar. I keep flour tortillas in the fridge from Costco. Serve with Baked bananas for desert. 2.55
6) Spaghetti with red sauce, parm cheese, garden vegetable salad ( last weeks
Garden vegetable salad
2/3 cup zucchini , sliced
2/3 cup sliced, blanched mushrooms
1/2 a large tomato, cut into pieces
Green pepper, celery, onion
Toss in bowl.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 T vinegar
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 EACH tsp of salt, pepper, garlic powder
Mix and pour over veggies. Let set while you make the main dish.
Pasta was .88 , sauce is .78. Zucchini was a 1 a pound if your neighbor doesn't have a ton of it lol
7) Zesty Steak Salad, fluffy muffins
1 pound steak, sliced thin into strips.
1/3 cup W sauce
1 medium onion , julienned or1/2 a red onion in rings
1/2 a lartge green pepper, julienned
salsa if desired.
Marinate meat in w sauce. Saute onion, green pepper, in butter. add sliced meat stir fry until done.
Toss with lettuce and add tomato. 5.50
This averages 4.74 a meal. It does not include, oil, vinegar, or spices. Vinegar is three dollars plus change a gallon at costco. Spices I either get a the dollar store, or at Costco in bulk. Store them in a dark, dry place away from the stove or oven. Sour cream is at Costco in bulk for really cheap. Taco sauce is really cheap at the dollar store.
Thanks for stopping by