Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Coupons

Someone told me that the Sunday paper had a coupon for a dollar off the salad dressing that was on sale at Albertsoms last week. Had they told me I would have passed it on.
That's what the comment section is for. I don't get the paper and ro buy the paper just for the coupon would not have been cost effective. That was still a really good price.

I have had people pass coupons to me while I was in a store that they weren't going to use. Random act of kindness. I have done it too. It just made my day!!!

On to a series of designer food recipes adjusted to be on the cheap. The book is making it easy from the food network. I got it used. Try 1/2 price books if you want
It.

Chicken Breasts with Balsamic and garlic


2 T olive oil
Salt, pepper
2 chicken breast, boned and cut in half.
2 T EACH of flour and butter
5 cloves garlic , smashed
Rosemary
1/2cup balsamic vinegar
1 2/3 cup chicken broth


In frypan, brown the chicken in the oil on both sides. Place chicken in a baking pan and bake at 350 degrees 12-15 minutes until chicken tests done.

Mix the flour and butter to form a paste.

Add the rosemary and garlic to the frypan and toast slightly.
Stir on vinegar, deglazing the pan. Cook about one minute.
Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Whisk in butter mixture.
Simmer 1minute.

Serve sauce over chicken.

Serve with oven roasted root veggies


Notes

Balsamic vinegar is a splurge. Sometimes you can get it at the dollar store. Make your own chicken broth and freeze it. Pit it in old fashioned ice cube trays. Then pop out into a zip lock.

Use any root veggies that are in season. Cut into uniform sizes, toss with olive oil and rosemary and roast in the oven. Any degree from 350 to 400 degrees works. I usually let the meat I am cooking dictate the temp. this makes best use of the oven .


We knew it was fall when my mother made meatloaf, baked potatoes and acorn squash for dinner. She made it all in the oven. She would bring the squash down to my dads workshop and put it in the vice to cut it in half lengthwise. Then filled it with butter and brown sugar. these days if you poke it with a fork several times, you can microwave it for 2 or 3 minutes and soften it enough to cut it in half.

Meals that are entirely cooked at one rime in the oven saves power and makes for easier cleanup too.


Thanks for stopping by

Please SHARE this blog

Jane













No comments:

Post a Comment