Thursday, June 6, 2013

Terrific Thursday

Since I have been stuck in bed some of the time these last  two days, I have been reading and watching every thing I could on saving money at the grocery store.  After our housing costs and transportation and medical, food is the most expensive thing that we buy.

I thought what one woman said on the TODAY show was very telling.  She said, if you don't think that saving money at the grocery store is important, you ain't been broke enough,  That is paraphrasing, but the message is there.  Most of us don't waste food, but, why waste money?  if you pay 1.00 for something you can get for .50.  You have wasted .50.  On the time thing, if you can make more money elsewhere, go for it.  But there have been times that I have save the equivalent of 212.00 an hour.  Nobody ever paid me 212.00 an hour! I am semi retired.  I don't want to go to work anymore than I am already.  If I had children, I probably wouldn't want to spend any more time away from them.  They can learn cutting skills, math skills.  And if they reap some of the savings in the form of a new pair of shoes they want or a vacation they normally couldn't take, they will see the merits of their  effort.  A lesson well learned.

 Have heard a lot of things that I can believe are true, but one thing that resonates through.  If you are happy about a product, e mail them, sometimes they will send you coupons.  if you are unhappy about a product, e mail them, they will send you coupons.   Emailed a company because I got a box of cookies that had no cookies in 1/2 of it.  They sent me a coupon for four boxes of cookies free.  I did the same with a can of  green beans that was not full.  I called them.  they would rather give you product than loose your loyalty.  I am not brand loyal.  if I know a brand is not good quality, I will not buy it, but among the brands that are good, I'll buy the cheapest one at the time I need it.

Off the soapbox. LOL



Eating on the cheap doesn't have to mean you are not going to eat well. Looking at upscale eating establishments menus can give you all kinds of ideas for new dishes.  Many are on line.

Stuff a chicken breast, add mushrooms to a gravy, stuff salmon.  it's their trick to make it look like you are eating a large portion of protein, when in realty, you have a 3 or 4 ounce portion.

Thanks for stopping by

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment