Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The basics. Step 2

Last time we talked about getting your list and going to two stores, getting in, and getting out.  The more time you spend in a store, the more money you will spend.

Besides the regular chain stores, there are what I call alternative stores.  I usually hit those on a cycle.
Grocery Outlet and Big Lots have a limited amount of items.  Big  Lots have less than Grocery Outlet.  I usually try to hit them about twice a month when I am in the area for other errands.

Costco and Winco are warehouse stores.  Costco is close by, and Winco is two towns away.  We go to Costco on a need to go basis and Winco about every six weeks, or when they send us a 10.00 coupon.  When you add the 20 percent to the already low prices, you can bring you bill down to over 60 percent or more savings.  Basicly you can get 100 dollars worth of groceries for 40.00.

The bakery outlet is a ways away for us, we hit there about once every 4-6 weeks.  We try to group things together.  When you buy a month or so worth, we usually get things for free besides the low prices. If bread goes on sale for less than the bread store, I supplement.  Yhe dollar store is cheaper on several things.  I got hot poppers, French fries, and mixed freezer veggies.  Also, salami and pepperoni is cheaper.  The Cable Guys beer bread is really good with chili etc type dishes.

Sales go on a 12 week cycle.  Each store is different. Your data should tell you each stores pattern.

One of the fastest ways to break a budget is to fall into the trap of going every day or every other day to the store to buy one or two days groceries at the most expensive store in town.  the other way is to go to one convenient store and buy anything you see that looks good.  No ONE store has the best buys.  Multiple stores offer you better selection and better prices.

Group your stores and other errands so that you use the least amount  of gas.  Plan your trip.

Once you are set up, you will probably spend less time than you are now . We can get in and out of four stores in a little over an hour including travel time.

If your time is in short supply, spending more time shopping and less time cooking will make you better off.  you get paid for shopping, not for cooking.
I would be remiss if I didn't address the coupon issue.  I use electronic coupons on my store cards.  I also use coupons if they are worth my while.  My daughter and I made lemon pound cakes.  She had purchased a slice at the big buck coffee company for 2.50.  It cost us 2.26 for a loaf and about ten minutes labor. T make two loaves.  I downloaded a coupon for cake mix--with the coupon that brand was twice as much as Betty Crocker.

If I can reduce my food bill with coupons for things I would ordinarily buy, I will.  Most of the things
I see manufacturers coupons for are things that are ready made stuff I wouldn't buy in the first place.

I am investigating the drug stores, but so far, I am not too impressed.  My first try was a disaster.

I bought baby food...the stuff that was supposed to be free, was gone.  I got pouches for the same rewards.  It did cost me some money.  When I went to redeem my rewards, I wasn't in the computer.
I had my rewards receipt so they manually did it, but it took the manager three tries to get it right.
My card should be coming soon, or I'm not going down that road again.  Walgreens is supposed to be coming to my neighborhood soon.  Their rewards seem confusing, but I'll have to see .  Bartells  is good when they are having a sale on food.

The bottom line, is that you want 1/2 price or more.  If you buy your target items at 50-60 percent off or more, the rest of the items will fall into place.

Seattle has a buy your bag policy, so remember to bring your cloth bags into the store.  I have them in the trunk, but don't alwaysremember  to bring them in.



Being brand sensitive will cost you,  many store brands are as good as or better than the old mainstays.  I am particular about hot dogs and tuna.

Stores have researched spending habits and human behavior.  They no all the tricks to make you spend more.  But, that's another post.

if you have a psychological problem with shopping, delegate that job to another family member.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jane



4+1=5
Better, cheaper, faster
Remember, you get paid for shopping, not for cooking

things I forgot
If produce comes in a xx pound bag, weigh a couple of bags, they can fluctuate as much as 25 percent.
Look up and down on the shelves.  Manufacturers pay slotting fees.  Basicly they rent shelves.  Eye level is more costly than up and down.  The most expensive things will be eye level.
Less packaging ie bulk isle is not necessarily the cheapest?..compare prices.






No comments:

Post a Comment