Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thursday ,the ads and some notes

The week is almost gone and it will be time to put away the Christmas decorations and get back to normal around here. I, for one, will welcome the getting back to a normal grocery ad.  We don't need half of the ad being taken up with expensive snack trays and booze.  I just want real food.

I did take advantage of the premade cookies with Christmas on them.  They were fifty cents a tray.  My granddaughter had a good time making cookies with her mom.  Like my daughter said, your stomach doesn't know  that they have Christmas trees on them.  LOL.

I did gleam a couple of bargains at Wallmart.   I don't usually go to Walmart, but we went to the bread outlet.  I got bread for 1.59 and found the brown and serve bread that Costco regular hasn't had lately.  It is a buck a loaf, which is a good price as baguettes go, and it keeps on the fridge quite a while.  Walmart did not have a lot of food buys. It is not a super store, but the prices were mostly higher than what I normally pay.  I did  get chicken noodle soup for .75 and a smoked bacon mashed potato packet for a buck.  I would rather pay the .80 I usually pay, but we liked the smoked bacon and not everyone carries it.

I did score a. Hello Kitty nightgown for granddaughter.  It was ten dollars, but all Christmas was 50 percent off.  It rang ten bucks and my husband told the cashier that it was Christmas and was supposed to be 1/2 off.  The guy charged us three dollars.  Again, that is a way to get more for your money.  We don't care what is on her Nightgown, it's perfectly useful.  She likes it because it has hello kitty on it.  It's a lesson in frugality.  The same held true on the 70's when my dad asked me why we had pear pieces instead of whole pears.  They were half the proce and our tummies didn't know the difference.

The ads.

QFC
APPLES .99
chicken .99
Pasta 1.00

Buy 5, save 5, net prices

HORMEL entrees 3.99$$
Crackers. 2.29
Kellogg's Special K 1.99

TOP
APPLES .68
Tillamook yogurt 10/5
Tangerines 3 lbs/ 3.49

SAFEWAYS
Five dollar Friday
8 lbs oranges
Coffee
Ground turkey


Apples .99
Yoplait 10/5$$
Berries BOGO

ALBERTSONS
Bread , tuna 10/10
Milk 2.19@@

1.00 each
Nalley chili
Diced chilies
Olives
Pasta, barilla


That's about it.  No one store stands out as having a lot of bargains.  I got tuna for .77 at Bartells,
probably still .77 if you shop early in the week, usually drug stores run Sunday threw Saturday.  The Nalley chili is the same price as ALBERTSONS and there is turkey chili.   Coffee for five bucks at Safeway would be a draw for me as well as 40 ounces of frozen fruit for five bucks.  Petite sirloin steak is 2.99.  That would make it a good time to grind hamburger.  Good hamburger is five dollars or so a pound last I checked.  You can net the same fat content for three bucks and a little effort.  If you have a kitchen aid mixer attachment, it's easy, but you can also use the kind great grandma used.

They are cheap at almost any regular antique store.

Pasta is a buck, I am not finding any blue box pasta coupons.  I am finding all of specialty pasta coupons.  Be sure to check the coupon matchup sites because I very well could have missed something. I am not a coupon guru.  Extreme couponer I am not, but if I can score a few bucks off
my bill with little effort, I will.  The coupons for the month are not great.  The best buy that I found was the HORMEL entrees for 3.99 at QFC.  Not all the " flavors" are good.  We do like the sirloin tips. With the coupons out there, it makes them about the same or less than scratch.  With a salad or frozen vegetable and rice or instant mashed potatoes, you can have dinner on the table in less than ten minutes and still under five bucks.  Now, as a kaviat , if you have a man that doesn't eat anything until dinner, it probably won't be enough for 2 adults and two children.  We are talking a 1/2 cup ( four ounce) portion.  It does feed, my husband and and our adult son.

One other note, ALBERTSOMS has pasta sauce for a buck. Bartells has the same sauce for .79.
I do not run to a store for one thing if the savings is not substantial.  I won't go to ALBERTSONS just for the milk, ot would cost more to get there than the savings.  But, QFC is close and the savings are remarkable.  SAFEWAYS is also close enough  and has enough buys to make ot worth my while.  Bartells is close by and the savings were remarkable there too.  I suspect when Wallgreens opens across the street, we might see better buys at Bartells too.

Guess that's all.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane















No comments:

Post a Comment