Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Basics: Four plus One is Five

Four people. One meal, Five bucks.

If you are on snap and get 300.00 a month,you have Basically ten dollars a day for three meals.
Dinner has to be an average of five dollars.  I just heard that they were cutting snap again. bad timing when we are still seeing the effects of the drought.  It just makes it more important to watch your food dollar.

There are still ways to put a good meal on the table for five bucks.  ( I am talking about the proverbial family of two adults and two school aged children.  Snap figures vary with ages of children and sizes of families, and location of residence.  ).

I'm not going to tell you that some little fairy is going to make food magically appear in your cupboard and the meal will just appear on the table. It takes work.  I spend more time shopping and have streamlined meal prep at dinner time.   I have energy during the day, by mealtime I am tired especially if I have run after a two yo or worked on my feet.  You can cut more food costs if you are a bread baker.  I get bread from Costco or the bakery outlet.  Making sour dough at home would be a lot cheaper.  I baked bread until we weren't using it up fast enough and I was wasting my time.  Your family may be different.

I digress,,   Meals for five bucks.  Remember that is average.  If you have a shrimp stir fry, you need to have eggs or something a lot cheaper another night  to average  the cost.  I try for two dollars a pound for meat.  A quarter pound serving looks like a lot more if you make something that uses  bite sized portions. Sloppy joes go further than hamburgers.  Chicken pot pie goes further than sliced chicken.

  • Spaghetti with meat balls
  • Sloppy joes
  • Shepherds pie
  • Tacos
  • Burritos
  • Cheeseburger macaroni (scratch) 
  • Meat ball, subs, with a gravy over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles. 
  • Sausage quiche, or ham quiche 
  • Pizza with just about anything 
  • Pork loin roast
  • Pork chops 
  • Soups, split pea with ham*
  • Chicken vegetable  soup
  • Chicken and noodles
  • Chicken pot pie
  • Roast chicken 
  • BBQ chicken thighs and legs
  • Buffalo chicken pizza
  • Vegetable bean soup with or without sausage
  • Sausage ( dinner) with peppers and potatoes and onions.  
  • Chicken stir fry
  • Sweet and sour chicken 
  • Potato soup
  • Clam chowder
  • Shrimp stir fry on rice
  • Tuna casserole  
  • Tomato , basil, blue cheese soup
  • BBQ beef or pork sandwiches
  • Chicken or pork fried rice, egg rolls 
  • Mac and cheese( scratch) 
  • Chopped salad ( chefs salad ) 
  • Meatloaf
  • Nachos
  • Taco tot casseroles
I'm sure there are more, but that's off the top of my head.  

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane 








No comments:

Post a Comment