Monday, February 22, 2016

Better for less chicken

Last  night we had a pork chop bake - we tried a new recipe from Betty Crocker on line cookbook.   I omitted the French fried onion rings.   My hubby doesn't like onions and it would have just bumped up the price amd added fat to the dish.  

Today o out the 5.5 pound chicken in the crockpot to cook.    I will divide it only o four portions.   Portion control is one of the best ways to keep costs down.   I'm hearing that we all need a out six ounces of protein a day, some of which needs to be egg.  

A balanced diet is the key.    Some families allow seconds, the children just have to have seconds of a little of everything.  

We cut the cooked chicken ( a lot less work than when it is raw) into two 1/2 breasts, the dark meat, amd the bones left for soup.   When we cook a chicken on the crockpot ( see prior recipe) I save the broth.    Four meals with a five pound chicken cost somewhere around 1.25 per meal for meat.    That makes a five dollar or less meal really work.

There are a lot of recipes that call for rotisserie chicken.   Cooked chicken is a good substitute.  
Betty Crocker on line cookbook is free.  You can plug in what you want to cook and recipes will pop up.   Many of them are easy.   Many can be adjusted to use your own mixes of necessary.  
Always be mindful  of your budget.  

Our favorites are chicken pot pie, chicken enchiladas, chicken tacos, chicken orzo soup, chicken dinner, ....... Ther is a list on a precious post, and Betty Crocker is full of them.   I choose Betty Crocker because they are up to date, but down to earth.   The recipes are tested and work. Most of the time, they are quick and easy.    

I spend more time on the front end of the meal train and less on the back end.   By dinner time, my get up and go has got up and went.   I want easy.  I cook in the morning when I have the energy, I batch cook.  It is cheaper to buy in bulk and batch cook; you save money,time, and clean up.  

Even if you don't take some thing out if the freezer, you can still put a meal on the table fast.  

Thanks for stopping by

Jane





No comments:

Post a Comment