Thursday, September 15, 2016

Thursday, September 15

We made chicken salad BLT sandwiches and had vegetable sticks that I made in Monday's prep day.  
They were really good.  

Yesterday I shopped at QFC, no coupons.    I still saved almost 50 percent in spite of the fact that it was late and I bought a TV dinner for lunch.    I spent 10.00 and  saved 9.48.  

I used  the B4S4 sale.    I got blue  Bunny  ice cream, a very large jar of salsa, and two pound packages of frozen veggies for a dollar.  

Frugal is in the eyes of the beholder.   A frugal person on Pinterest thought a 12 ounce package of frozen, organic broccoli for three dollars was frugal.    Hello, fresh, regular , broccoli is .88 a pound at Fred Meyers.   Organic, frozen is a little more than a dollar at Costco.    When you can get the same thing for 67 percent less, it's not being frugal.    Maybe she was comparing it to food  from Mars?    LOL.  

I found it interesting that an article came  across my computer about a university stidy that had been skewed because the researchers had been paid to skew the numbers.    Just another reason why you have to look at the whole picture  to see if you really want to change your diet because of a "study" .  And, give it the logic test.   I worked as an accountant for many years.   After you finished a p and l, you stood back and gave it the logic test.    I honestly don't think that sugar causes heart disease.   I think that  being obese causes heart disease and sugar causes obesity.    It's like they are saying that you don't need to count cholesterol; you need to count your saturated fat .   The fat causes the heart disease, the colesterol  doesn't.   Saturated fat is easier to control.  

I'm still going with Moderation.    There have been too many studies  lately that have backtracked the older studies.    Something  is good for you in 1990 and bad for you in 2000.   My mantra is still eat balanced.   Eat in moderation,   Eat a variety of foods.    Avoid too much sugar, salt, saturated fat and hydrogenated oils.    More than one study, basically the entire medical community has to say it is bad.  
Natural has to be better than fake.    Moderation is the key.  Now, if your doc says different, by all means you have to go with the doctors recommendations.  

On another note, I cut the ends off the baby romaine that is made our salad from on Oreo day and put the stub in water.    It's growing already.   I put  it in the edge of the sink and change the water when I do dishes.   A neat experiment for the children if nothing else.    You are supposed to be  able to grow another head of lettuce.    

I have got our food down to three dollars a day.   We eat well.   I have added some scratch cooking and I'm trying to regrow vegetables to see if I can get the numbers down, or at least maintain the status quo with rising prices.    We don't need to do that, it's a game.   The more things I can wrote about and see if they are workable, the more I can help someone that really needs to cut costs.  

I also have a full pantry and freezer about now,   I know that we are going to experience high utility bills and high medical bills going into fall.   I am postured to rode the storm and have a no sound month or two if we need to.    There is a certain satisfaction in knowing your bases are covered.    Just saving money isn't as good, because I get fifty to seventh eight percent on the dollar couponing and planning our food budget.    No bank is gong to give me fifty percent on my money.  



Groceries on the cheap is looking at the "put the meal on the table train" from  a different perspective. 

The emphasis is on purchasing good shelf stable or frozen food  for a RBP in quantity - enough to last you until it goes on sale again or to keep a controlled non-perishable stock of the things you  use  on a weekly basis. 

This means that instead of shopping daily or weekly for just the things you need to cook your meals for the week. You go to two stores and buy :
1) a protein that is a RBP - enough to make that meal for x number of days. (I.e.: if you eat it once a week, buy enough for 4 meals.) 
2) produce and dairy you will need to fill in the meals for the week. 
3) a stock item, if you need to and it is on a RBP - enough to fill in to your self imposed stock level. 

You often are paying 1/2 price for your food.   This allows you to put well-balanced meals on the table consistently on a four dollar a day per person budget.   You spend more time on the locomotive ( planning and shopping ) end of the train, and less time in the caboose ( kitchen j) by cooking more efficiently. 

 Four dollars a day is the target amount for people on snap.   My premise is that of you can do it on 4 dollars a day, spending more is not difficult and you still get more nutrition for your buck. 








No comments:

Post a Comment