Friday, April 8, 2016

5 mixes you can scratch cook.

Buying packets of seasoning can derail your meal train in a hurry.   If I'm going to spend another dollar on dinner, I would rather buy more meat or ice cream for desert.   Making your own mixes can save a lot of money and can avoid artificial ingredients.   ( preservatives etc)


  1. Taco seasoning. 
  2. Ranch dressing mx 
  3. Baking mix 
  4. BBQ rub
  5. Cream soup mix 
Many of these are already on this blog or they are in the Internet.   

We have Tex-mex at last once a week.  It's an easy way for me to make everyone happy and I am not cooking two meals.   My taco seasoning is already made .  Sometimes I add it to the hamburger when I am batch cooking.   Last time I used ready made just because it was virtually free along with the sauce. 

There are a lot of recipes in cyberspace that call for just using the packet of seasoning.   Making your own salad dressing can avoid hydrogenated oil.   It has to be used faster, but has no preservatives.   

Baking mix is a mainstay at our house,   Besides the usual breakfast fare, I like to use it for chicken pot pie and banana, oatmeal, blueberry bread.   

BBQ rub makes the fastest chicken ( non-passive time) in the west.....or east.    

Cream soup mix is healthier than the alternative.   Less salt and good for Mac and cheese, casseroles.




No comments:

Post a Comment