Monday, April 4, 2016

The food pyramid.

The USDA  has made a food pyramid for as many years as I can remember.  My mother always made a protein, a starch, and a vegetable or fruit for dinner.    I can't see any real reason to deviate from the tried and true.   Some years ago , the USDA altered it to adjust for the fact that we are eating too much fat, sugar, and salt (sodium) in our diets.  

Along came the alternative generation.    From the amount of advertising I am seeing and the amount of coupons that are appearing out there, I am sure it is a multi- million dollar business.   It is a trend that I'm not buying into.   Just my personal opinion.

Your body is a fine tuned entity.    It needs balance.   It needs a group of nutrients to feed your organs to run efficiently.   Kinda like a car.  A car needs gas, and oil, and transmission fluid, windshield wiper fluid.   Take some of that away and it doesn't run right.  I'm some cases, it doesn't run at all......

My take, eat a wide variety of foods. Eat in moderation.    Eat from the food pyramid.  Avoid too much salt, sugar, and fat.   If you feel the need to avoid a food group. Consult your MD doctor about it and get a nutritionist to help you put  your body back in balance,    You are playing with fire if you do it in your own.  You only have one body to last you the rest of your life.  You can replace your car, you can't replace your body.  



No comments:

Post a Comment