Saturday, April 16, 2016

Tomorrows Fred Meyers ad - notes

Surprisingly  , there are not many items of food in this ad.   What's there are some really good prices

  1. Strawberries , 2 lbs -299
  2. Petite sirloin steaks 3.97
  3. Milk , chocolate milk, OJ .99@@
  4. Foster farms chicken, .87
  5. Barilla pasta 1.00
  6. Cross rib roast 3.99
That's about it for bargains,  my rotation protein his week would be the chicken and the twenty percent off hambirger I got yesterday.    That would make up for a week that I didn't get anything.   You can cook both at the same time , so your prep time would be less.    

As for the coupon book that comes with the paper, glade has a coupon for 100 off of any two products. There is some glade at the dollar store , but they may or  may not match,   .   .50 off any Colgate 3 ounces or larger.   That can be found at the dollar store sometimes,  just read the label carefully. Sometimes toothpaste at the dollar store was made for the Mexican market and they have a lot of fluoride in them.   I always read labels.   In any store you can find food that comes from China,  the FDA tells me that they monitor the factories in China and spot check the food  that  comes into the country for contaminates or quality.   

I only buy Foster Farms or Draper valley chicken.   I prefer Foster farms.    --all I am saying. 

I am careful what I buy.   We can only buy things that are at our target prices.   I want to average two dollars a pound for protein and a dollar  a pound for fruits and veggies.   Sometimes  that doesn't happen with fruits and veggies.    I always have a variety of fruit in the house.   It is a mainstay of a healthy diet.    What I do buy of inexpensive sources of protein is the best  quality I can find.    Finding the RBP on these items affords us good food on a tight budget. 

  Buying in season works too.  

Stocking on a product that typically goes on sale in conjunction with a holiday cuts your cost dramatically.  Check pull dates and buy what you will need for the year.   I'm talking things like pumpkin, catsup, turkeys.  Pizzas are cheapest super bowl weekend with coupons.   Unfortunately, you cant buy a years worth.  Pizza is cheaper of you can make it from scratch.  I don't always have the time or stamina, and it is our go to if no one wants to cook.    I am better off prepping early on the day so that dinner is a ten to twenty minute non- passive event.   

I , personally, am not convinced that organic food is better nutrition than regular food.   I peel and wash my veggies when it is appropriate.  My experience with organic produce is that it goes bad almost instantly.   

No food can do you any good if you are feeding it to the garbage disposal.   

That also is true of portion control and not overbuying perishables.   Kitchen management and freezing or incorporating food before it goes bad onto you meals is important too.    It's only a bargain if you use it. 

The Internet and Pinterest is full of ideas on how to use up bits and pieces; it's also full of examples of what not to buy if you are feeding your family on a tight budget and trying to be as health as possible on it.   


















No comments:

Post a Comment