Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Terrific Tuesday

I finally got to Fred Meyers yesterday.  I didn't spend much, but got good buys on what I did get.  
I had to go to michaels and get a new paper trimmer.   My old one broke.  I found out that they are under warranty and Fiskars will send me a replacement part, but I have to finish a project before then.  

There is this Mexican theme with the grocery stores this week.  Haven't quite figured that out yet because it's not May 5th? lol.  We eat a lot of tex ,ex because everybody likes it and I can make one meal and make everybody happy.  

We have been incorporating chicken into our Mexican recipes.   I can still get chicken for a buck a pound.

It's the first of the month.   I usually cover the basics.  I talked about the bare bones basics a couple of days ago.  It's a balancing act and it takes a little planning, but the reward is a lower food bill.  After gas, food is the most expensive thing in most peoples discressionary income.    We have a very small car and inky go to the store and work is a mile or so away.   Groceries are our most expensive expense.   Our groceries are 1/2 the national average.   The USDA has stats on sixes of families and how much food at home should cost.  I spend 25 percent less than their thrifty budget and I also supplement my daughter and granddaughter a lot.    And, that's not all food eaten at home, because I am constantly stocking.  We have a stock built.  


  • Take advantage of store specials
  • Specials are on a six to 12 week rotation.  
  • Go to more than one store.   This gives you the best pick of produce.   
  • Buy a meat that is economical and buy in bulk to maximize your savings.  Buy enough to serve that meat it's allotted times for a month.   The next week, pick a different meat.   ( or protein ) 
  • When a staple item is in sale, buy enough to last you until it goes on sale again.  
  • Keep track of grocery prices.   Find out what is the cheapest proce on your area.  Thos os getting harder because prices don't seem to be stable these days.  
  • Don't buy more than you can use before it goes bad.   
  • Watch for tricks the retailers have to get you to impulse buy.   It's 70 percent of their  sales.   Save the seventy percent.  
I Guess that's all.   

Thanks for stopping by

Please share 

Jane 






No comments:

Post a Comment