Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday madness

It's Monday again, funny how that works, another week looms.  I have been spending my free time watching blogs about cheap food.  there are not many about good food, cheap.  It is frustrating seeing all the cut your grocery bill in half, when I already do that without coupons.  Either Washington state is a lot more rigid on their coupon policies, or they have all changed because people were taking advantage.  Clearing the shelves without regard to other shoppers is rude.
None  the less, these women are getting 15000 hits a day.  I was excited to get 10000 in a year ! LOL
I don't know how to reach more people.  I am trying to take a practical approach to this.


Onward, my focus this month is going to be to add a few coupons on top of good sales to kick up the savings a notch.  Another challenge is to see how low I can get the basic hie gene necessities, since SNAP only covers food.  I have got toothpaste for as low as free.  on to deodorant, toilet paper, and soap.

Progresso recipe starters are 2/1.00 at the dollar store.  There are .50 coupons, but they don't work at the dollar store...darn.   I have used the cheese one, it was pretty good,  I added more cheese to bow ties and peas.  it was a very quick meal when things went  a rie at our house.  Having some items that save the day is important, it is better than the drive through or ordering pizza.  I also have the challenge of cooking with one pot at a time I'm a two foot square kitchen on the boat.  Drastic times call for drastic measures.  I cook normal foods on the boat, many go out for dinner every night.  Some convenience saves my day and a lot of money.

Betty Crocker has some really good recipes this week.  Check out their website. I will try the beer bread!   Beer bread pizza sounds really good too.  If you don't like alcohol, you can always use no alcoholic beer.  There are a lot of other really good recipes too.

When I shopped, I mostly bought fruits and vegetables.  We are paring down our stock of meat.  Yesterday, we went to a BBQ, so I didn't cook.   Have three more days left to cook.  I did the math, one day we go to Happy Hour with friends, two days I work the late shift.


  1. Hot dogs, corn on the cob, mixed berry fruit cup
  2. Chicken and sausage couscous
  3. Pasta skillet

Chicken and sausage couscous 

1/4 pound chicken pieces, cooked
6 ounces fully cooked sausage , cut into bite sized pieces
2 stalks celery, cut into small chunks
2 carrots, cut into slices
1-1/3 cups chicken broth
1 cup couscous
1/2 red pepper, sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1T cornstarch

Place sausage in skillet with a little oil.  Brown meats about 5 minutes.  
Add carrots and celery to skillet, cover and cook until soft 3-5 minutes
Cook couscous,  bring 1-1/3 cups broth to a boil.  Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat.  
Let stand. 
Add chicken and red pepper to skillet.  Stir fry until red pepper is soft.  
Mix remaining chicken stock with cornstarch.  Add to skillet.  Stir fry until  sauce is thick.  
Serve meat and veggies over couscous.  

Pasta skillet
1 cup seashell pasta.  ( cooked and drained)

3/4 pound ground meat, cooked
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/2 tsp garlic 
1 cup frozen green beans
2 ounces feta cheese ( if desired)

Add all Ingredients to a skillet, except pasta.  Cook until  frozen beans are done.  
Add pasta to skillet and stir.  
Garnish with feta if desired.  

Notes:  meat was cooked ahead when it was on sale for 2.99 a pound.  Pasta was .50 a pound.  
Tomatoes are .67 when TOP has them on sale. 
Feta  cheese is often cheap at grocery outlet.  last time I got it with sundried tomatoes.  

 Thanks for stopping by

Jane

PLEASE share.  























No comments:

Post a Comment