Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Terrific Tuesday

Yesterday was an alternative shopping day.  We went to goodwill where I picked up a cute shortfall for granddaughter.  Mom doesn't think it was so cute.  And a couple of books for her.  

QFC netted food for the boat stock at a 64 percent savings.  We watched as 32.00 went down to 12.50.  On to big lots for my husband to get hot pickles.  And the dollar store where I netted 80 percent off.  Pepperoni was buy 1, get one with a coupon.  7 dollars worth of pepperoni was a buck.  Steam vegetables were a buck, 3 dollars at the Q.  Lemonade was a buck but I can't remember how much it is at QFC.

All together less than twenty dollars!  Good prices paired with good coupons.  Big Lots does not take SNAP.  A

On another note, I went over budget this week, but stocked some staples and the boat.  I am taking care of some health issues this week, and don't expect to shop next week at all to compensate.  I should finish the month ok. 

One of my friends brought me the coupons from her Sunday paper.  I pulled everything I thought I might use.  A lot of it was for stuff I don't buy.  I am rapidly seeing where you never should have to pay for toothpaste .  It is really easy to find coupons for .75 and a dollar.  The dollar store takes coupons, the Big Lots doesn't.  I am told that Grocery Outlet doesn't either.  I suspect that  Winco doesn't either.  

A lot of newspaper coupons are for non food items.  I have been averaging six bucks a shopping trip, and while six bucks are definitely worth it, I am not going to spend a lot of time on this endevour.  

Back to basics.  There are still a lot of meals that can come in at five dollars.  When I price  a meal, I don't count anything less than 2T.  I count everything that is real food in my total budget.  

Breakfast for dinner is a good way to make a quick cheap meal.  What kid wouldn't like chocolate waffles and turkey bacon and a yogurt and fruit parfait for dinner.  Plenty of protein, fruit and a carb or two and dairy.  

Pizza and green salad is another kid favorite.  

Tacos, refried beans, and salsa rice is another.  ...beans were .80 at big lots .  Salsa was a buck at QFC with a coupon.  There are also la Victoria coupons for tortillas on line.

Chicken and noodles and Mac and cheese are more kid friendly meals well under five dollars.  Frozen veggies are always a buck at the dollars store.  DUH.  And they were a buck at QFC this week.  

Meat balls can be made from ground beef, or from a mixture of meats,  done ahead, and frozen.  Walnut sized ones thaw quickly and can be made into a variety if dishes

  • Meat ball subs
  • Meat balls and spaghetti
  • Meat balls with white gravy over rice
  • Meat balls with brown gravy over noodles or mashed potatoes
  • Meatball soup
Does anyone have any other ideas for meatballs?


Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane 

4+1=5. Four People, one meal, five bucks

Better, cheaper, faster






No comments:

Post a Comment