Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Let's talk chicken

CHICKEN

Whole chickens go on sale for less than a dollar a pound frequently. I only want to buy northwest grown chickens.  Lately I have found chicken breast for a dollar a pound. My rule is to pay less than 2.25 a pound for meat. Never buy a whole chicken unless it is more than 3 pounds. There is not enough ratio between bone and meat. I roast a chicken one day, and have chicken pot pie one day, and soup base to spare.

You can easily debone chicken and use it for the many recipes for boneless, skinless chicken breast that are out there.

ROAST CHICKEN

Wash chicken well with cold water. Clean out the cavity, rub the cavity with salt. Sometimes I stick lemon or orange slices under the skin. I always stuff the cavity With anything I can find around...onion quartered, lemon, apple, orange just for flavor. Rub outside of the skin with olive oil and put in a roasting pan In the oven at 350 for About twenty min per pound... 165 degrees or until the juices run clear.

Wash everything that has come in contact with raw meat Thorally.

Cooking and shopping for food on the cheap means that you cook from scratch. It doen't  mean that you can t cook fast....just smarter!

Thanks for dropping by.
 Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment