Monday, March 10, 2014

Monday Madness

Yesterday we went to Rite Aid and Walgreens.  I had rewards in both stores.  I planned my trip with coupons and rewards.  I spent nine dollars and change.  I saved more than 50 percent.

I got
2- 3 bar packs of Irish spring soap
2 deodorants.
2 Russell Stover chocolate packs, sugar free
1 daisy cottage cheese
1 total toothpaste
1 fingernail polish.

Most of thos stiff was necessity type items, except for the chocolate,   OK, that's debatable and the fingernail polish.  I do go to work, and I think bare nails are tacky.  ( just my opinion.  )

The point I am trying to make here is two fold.
1st, don't go into a store with blinders on.  You don't want to buy the store out of key chains, but keeping an eye on the food isle can sometimes reap a good buy.  Case in point, cottage cheese-- I would have never expected to find cottage cheese at Walgreens,but I had a fifty cent coupon and it worked.

2nd,  don't deprive yourself unless you are stone broke. Everyome needs a little treat every now and then, even of ot os just a 2.79 bottle of nail polish and/or a 1.50 bag of CHOCOLATE!  

Last night we had beef and bean burritos.  We were supposed to have pork roast, but I took a nap and didn't wake up in time,  alas, we will have pork roast tonight.   I am trying to switch to regular rice.  I have never been able to cook it right.  My rice cooker doesn't work well either.  I upgraded years ago to an"better " one and the old one worked better.  It might just be that I haven't got the hang of it yet.
Anyway, I posted it on a blog and someone sent me a recipe for rice in the oven....score!   Double your oven use and save energy and time.

Rice and beans make a complete protein and I use them for one of our vegetarian meals often.  We also like eggs ( breakfast for dinner) and Mac and cheese.

I developed a matrix for our meals.  It makes meal planning easy and affords is a balance of types of protein.  In a day when there is always somebody that has decided  that a particular food is not good for you, at least moderation will soften the blow if one of them is actually true.  I think moderation is the key.   All these studies makes me wonder who is paying  for them and are they scewed ?   Certainly of you only eat one food, it's not going to be good for you. We  need balance in our diets.
That's assuming you don't have health issues.  I try to maintain low fat, sugar and salt .  We know that we need some of these nutrients, but too much is not good.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane








No comments:

Post a Comment