Sunday, March 2, 2014

Pressure cooker split pea soup.

Tonight we are  having split pea soup cooked in the pressure cooker.  I have ham cubes and will fry them and add them to the half a pot that my husband and I will eat.

Today, we went shopping to rite aid, where I purchased ice cream for two dollars a carton and rolled my up rewards up to four.  I also bought a toothpaste for .75 and picked up cream of mushroom soup for .90.   It's easy to score at chicken noodle or tomato, but cream of mushroom is harder.   I got two breakfast drinks for my daughter for free. Actually, she got one, and I got one.  We paid 1.50 and got a 1.50 Catalina.

Big lots was twenty percent off  the whole store,  they do this three times a year.  I bought pizza crust.  Chocolate ice cream wafers.  They had craisens and dried prunes.  They market dried prunes as tiny fruits for kids and charge an outrageous  amount for them.   I tried my granddaughter out on craisens and she was just fine with them.  A whole big bag for less than a few tablespoons.

I am up to twelve tubes of toothpaste.  I think at the end of the month I'll take another trip to the women's shelter.

There was s o m e discussion on another thread about eating very stale dated canned goods.  My mother always said, when in doubt, throw it out,  your health is not worth saving a couple of cents.
The USDA and other sources all say that canned foods that are acidic, like tomatoes, are good for a year after the pull date, other foods like green beans are good for two.  That is the minimum amount.  Of COURSE, IF A CAN IS BULGING OR SEVERELY DENTED, THROW OT OUT.  Always error on the side of caution.  I usually try my best to rotate our stock and use things up before the pull date.  I don't use anything much past it's pull date.  You only have one body and botulism kills.


I guess  that's all

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane




No comments:

Post a Comment