Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Terrific Tuesday

It's Tuesday.  I will get back with the ads later today.   I have two appointments today and have got to get some work done in my studio.

I thought I would talk a little about food storage.  I try to use glass as much as possible and managed to fimd some glass jars here and there.  I did  find pickles in glass jar at grocery outlet.  I have some peanut butter jars ( old when they sold pea it butter in square jars) I just usually, write the contents on the lid of I might have a question later with a marker.  I write the expiration date on the eggs on the top of the lock and lock keeper.  It washes off with a scotch brite  type sponge.  I get them for three for a buck at the dollar store.

I think there are a group of people out there that are totally against the dollar store because they can't see past the cheap decorations etc.  Every store these days offers a wide variety if things to suit a wide variety of needs.  Not all dollar stores are created equal. A smart shopper will look past the garbage ( whatever that is in their eyes) and see a bargain.  I put the sponges through the dishwasher.  I hear you can out the, in the microwave, but I don't know what that would do to the scratchy part.
Some food is cheaper at the dollar store.  Last time I was in there the lady ahead of me had done her grocery shopping there.  The operative word is SOME, and some of ot os cheaper with a coupon.
I found Betty Crocker scalloped potatoes and used a dollar coupon.  I find pepperoni and get it for .50 instead of three dollars at the regular chains.  Sometimes frozen veggies are cheaper, the frozen peppers are icky!   Sandwich bags are .50 with a coupon.  Toothpaste often can be free as well as deodorant and soap.   FREE is a very good price especially of you are on SNAP and can't buy those things with your allotment.  If you aren't on snap, everything you get free leaves you more momey for food.

I watch coupons for most personal products.  Often they are for expensive things that you really don't need in the first place.  But,for the basics everyone  needs it is a good thing.  Last week our deodorant netted a quarter a stick.  Toothpaste was free. Soap was free.  ( 6 bars) not being brand loyal is  a real help.  Those prices came from rewards and coupons.  You can really score big at the drug stores if you again look past the things that you don't need and stick with necessities.  Take advantage of up rewards and coupons.   Again,meet on and get out.  Remember if you touch something  it is likely to jump in your cart.  Think before you toss things on your cart.  I still walk the isles  that have things I am likely to buy.  That's how I spied the cottage cheese at Walgreens that I had a coupon for.  I don't clog my coupon binder with every coupon that is out there.  I only put the things I would likely buy if the price was right.

Sometimes,  I find at the dollar store what I haven't been able to find anywhere else.  I was looking for pounders.  (  the glasses they have at bars). I could buy them cheap at Costco wholesale, but you had to buy 24.  I never found them at the goodwill.  I found them at the dollar store.  They are just the right size for a 12 ounce drink with ice.  I'm not  real fond of the  decor on them, but they work.
Page protectors are a lot cheaper.  I use them for my personal cookbook.  That way I can pull a recipe out of the three ring binder and use it, the recipe stays clean and I can put it back.  I got small binders at the goodwill so I don't have to have dividers.  Main dishes are in one and everything else is in the other.

I buy Kleenex if I can't find it cheaper elsewhere.  Last time I got 175 sheets at ALBERTSONS for .75.  

Some things are cheaper elsewhere, some are not,  again it all comes down to know your prices.


Thanks for stopping by
Please share

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment