Thursday, December 8, 2016

Healthy and three squares

First of all most children  eat lunch at school that are on snap.    We happen to send lunch with granddaughter because she goes to two schools.  

Breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal, cooked from scratch in the microwace and a banana.   The oatmeal costs  .10 and a banana costs .12 for a quarter.   - seven days is 1.75 - based on Costco prices.   The dime was when oatmeal was ten dollars for ten pounds,   It's now 8.00.   Bananas are 1.39 for a three pound bag that many times is 3.5 pounds.  

A breakfast English muffin with a fried or scrambelled egg would be about .21.


Lunch :   Hummus and crackers and or veggie sticks, a piece of fruit. A bottle of water or herbal tea.  


Snack - air popped popcorn.  

Dinners are mapped out on other blogs.    A cheese pizza from scratch is a dollar.   You can add veggies and be well under.  

Homemade soups are well under a dollar for several servings.   Bread sticks are about a quarter for a full cookie sheet minus somemherbs.  

All the dinners on my blog cost out to average less than five dollars for four people. Most less.   It's when o add a fish or steak that is higher, but some more inexpensive meals average it out.  

When I had teen boys, I always had certain foods that they knew they could eat all they wanted to if they were hungry,   With my son  it was beef and bean burritos , popcorn, peanut butter and jelly , and  the veggie sticks in the fridge.  

It's nit what you eat, as much as finding the RBP ( rock bottom price ) on the things you eat on a regular basis.   Once you identify what those are, find who has the cheapest prices.   Buy any non perishable staple item, onkymat a RBP and buy enough to last you until it goes on sale again, or to last you a specific amount of time, when the shelf gets low, start watching for a sale.  

I have target process ( nothing to do with the store with the red balls ) if something costs more than my target price, I have to have it really bad and there isn't a substitution for it.

Use coupons, use a web site like Ibotta.   Learn prices and develope recipes that use inexpensive sources of protein.   We dont eat much  steak, lobster, asparagus, .....

Meat : I try for two dollars a pound,   I can get Foster farms for a dollar  for whole chickens and 128 for split breasts.  I de-bone the breast to make boneless, skinless chicken breast and cook the bones for stock and harvest the meat for tacos or a cassarole.  

Ground beef for 7 percent fat is about 3.28  if it isn't and I can find any other piece of low fat beef, I grind our own - or,mrather, my husband does it,  LOL.

Pork loin is about two dollars a pound on sale.  

More information other posts.  

Note I wrote this blog to help people eat healthy as they can on a foirmdollar a day budget.  Many use it for hacks and ideas for a different dinner.  I don't have ads because I just want to help.  


Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment