Thursday, December 8, 2016

PBS take on feeding the hungry

I just read a piece in Facebook about the "new White House's take in food stamps and kids getting free lunches at school.....Ryan seems to think  it's deplorable.  

 It's a passion of mine,    I don't think any child should go hungry.  Children should not suffer the insecurity of having no food in the cupboards.   I can't feed every child, but I can teach people how to stretch their dollar, eat square meals and not junk food and always have food in the pantry.    I can't seem to get anyone to help me spread  this word.   I think the minimalist movement thinks that having more than two tubes of toothpaste in the cupboard ism"hoarding". The television show, like the couponing show has given people the wring impression.   It is reality tv: it's greatly exaggerated to keep you watching,    It's NOT real.    

Groceries on the cheap is a different way of purchasing  food.    It works.   We eat well on three dollars a day,   We don't eat creamed chip beef on toast, or rice and beans every day,   We don't eat a hamburger meal box , or top ramen and potato chips for dinner.    Last week we had wild caught salmon with lemon  sauce, rice medley, and gingered  carrots.   Last night we had homemade pizza with red peppers, mushrooms, black olives and pepperoni.    The day before we had quiche with sausage and mixed berry compote.   

The last three months, I spent  61.00 and change a week on food, average for three of us.   I'll admit I'm not feeding teenagers, but I have maintained a pantry on that money too.    It can be done.   It can't be done without effort, but I can be done.  

Yesterday I spent three hours on kitchen management,    It was more intense than I usually do, but I had mixes to make and a more labor intense meal plan this week.   I usually have a few easy Peasy  meals.    I also filled the olive oil bottle, the soap bottle, cleaned a cupboard. And grated parm cheese while things were cooking and loaded the dishwasher.   It should take about four hours a week to meal plan, study the ads, shop, use a rebate tool, and prep.    The reward is eating better for less, less preservatives, fat, salt, and sugar, and teaching your children that food doesn't come out of a box.    

Happy 😊  eating!   

No comments:

Post a Comment