Friday, August 9, 2013

Finally Friday

It's finally Friday. SAFEWAYS has specials for Friday only. We don't buy much bakery goods, but my husband loves the pudding cake, it is like a coffee cake. I haven't found a recipe for it yet. It is 2.50 this week.

We don't eat many baked goods, but I like to make quick breads when fruits need to be used up. They are fast and everyone likes them in our family. Many recipes call for two breads and you can eat one and share one, or eat one and freeze one. great for when you get unexpected company. My MIL always had goodies when you stopped by for tea. I miss that.

Quick breads are an inexpensive way to have a quick breakfast, or a snack. The bisquick cookbook is full of recipes. I get bisquick at Costco . I have a recipe for it on an earlier post, but with the cost of dry milk these days ( more than regular milk, and the fact that it calls for shortening, I am not sure it is still a desirable alternative. There is vegetable shortening these days, but dry milk at Costco is 40.00. My daughter got some cheaper at wallmart. I found the same milk at Winco. It was 10.00 for 2.5 gallons at wallmart. Thats more than whole milk.

My family likes impossible pie. My MIL used to make a apple strudel pie with sour cream. It was really good too. I use bisquick for the topping on chicken pot pie.

Tex Mex Beer Bread

2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp chili powder
1 -12oz beer
3 T butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1) measure out dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine.
2) stir butter into a beer in a separate bowl.
3) combine the wet and dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
4) grease and flour a 9X5 loaf pan. Pour batter into pan.
5) bake for 55 minutes or until bread is form and golden brown.m batter will be away from the side of the pan.
Serve warm.

Good with chili or a hearty soup.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane







No comments:

Post a Comment