Saturday, August 24, 2013

Suddenly Saturday

It's Saturday. I did a whirlwind grocery trip yesterday. I hit two stoees in two cities on an hour and a half including travel time, tagging along the granddaughter.

I got in on two marathon meat buys, and did a mega deal at ALBERTSONS. Their mega deals do not require you to buy a bulk amount. I finally got peppers for .50. Chicken was a buck, and SAFEWAYS had London broil for 3.00. I am trying a new brand of ice cream and some fruits and vegetables were reasonable.


A friend of mine sent me a link to a Pinterest post. It was from 2011. The lady, based on the grocery chain in the pictures, is in Pennsylvania. was getting marked down meat for really cheap packages. I have not seen those prices for years. I suspect that drought prices have kicked on and she isn't getting these prices now. She did, however, stretch her taco meat with onion and grated carrot. She, also, marinated her chicken and cooked it on batches ans made shaved chicken. She said she got her recipes from, " Don't panic, dinner is in the freezer. I bought that book. It is really good recipes and they are tailored to a wide variety of families. The recipes are broken down to several serving sizes. I had jalapeƱo Mac and cheese with shredded chicken at hey hour last week. It was really good. Last night we had BBQ spareribs, corn on the cob, and green salad. The tomatoes are turning red finally in the garden.

I am becoming aware that prices vary from store to store, but also from state to state. I, also, opened a can of worms on another site when I said that making your own laundry detergent wasn't a money saver. other places in the country, ingredients for laundry detergent are plentiful and cheaper. Not in beautiful down town Edmonds! It's really easy to find an oil painting or a hundred dollar t shirt, a five dollar cup of coffee, or a stockbroker, but not ingredients for laundry detergent.

My daughter wanted to try it. We went to three towns, it cost 14.95, and a lot of hard work to make enough detergent for 240 loads. Costco sells a bucket for 15.00 to make 240 loads. I use 1/2 of the amount, so I get 480 loads. 240 loads is enough to last my daughter a year. Costco's gets the clothes cleaner, doesn't gunk up the washer and is a lot easier. If I am going to that much trouble, I can save more momey roasting my own chicken. LOL. I will watch coupons, supposedly, you can get it for almost free. I did it on dishwasher soap, I'll try for laundry soap too.

I'm getting into the busiest time of the year for the business, but will still batch cook today.

The bottom line is no matter where you live, you will find your rock bottom prices on the foods you use often. Buy ar rock bottom, and eat at full price. If you stock wisely, you won't have to buy the item again until it hits rock bottom again. Different stores have different business plans. Volume stores make their money selling lots of an item.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane













No comments:

Post a Comment