Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni
- 1/2 pound cooked ground meat
- 1/2 lb of pasta of choice
- Vegetables of choice cut small : carrot, celery, onion ( food processor or manual chopper works well ) .
- 2 T olive oil ( or less of you have a non stick pan )
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes ( 15.5 oz)
- Add 1/2 tsp garlic powder. 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 ounces of grated cheese : we use Mexican blend, (1cup)
- Put macaroni to cook following the directions on the package, When cooked, drain.
- Sauté the chopped vegetables in a little olive oil.
- Add cooked hamburger.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add spices and simmer while pasta is cooking. If the sauce s too thick, add water or pasta water to desired consistency, It should have some liquid, but,NOT resemble soup.
- Add the pasta let simmer five minutes.
- Top with cheese and cover with lid and remove from heat.
- When cheese has melted, stir and serve.
Cost 3.29. Makes a meal for four people.
You can use tomatoes with spices and omit the spices.
Or add black olives sliced for Italian
Or green chilies and sauté onions instead of the veggies.
Better : because it has no preservatives and adds veggies and has more macaroni.
Cheaper because at 3.29 for 4 servings, it cost little more than the cost of one box and with the box you still have to add meat and other ingredients: scratch you have more real food .
Faster because you cook the pasta while the other is simmering. It can simmer on a very low heat and doesn't have to be babysat or you can make the sauce part in an insta pot or slow cooker and add the pasta and cheese .
In the insta pot :
Sauté the veggies on the sauté setting, When the veggies were soft, switch to the slow cooker setting and add the cooked hamburger, and sauce ingredients, At dinner time I would cook the pasta the microwave so it didn't have to be babysat , drain it when it was done and add the cheese and unplug the machine and add the cheese. Stir.