Saturday, October 20, 2012

Apples and other fall favorites

Yesterday , when we went grocery shopping, my husband and my granddaughter picked out a pumpkin. They were a buck at safe ways. She is supposed to go to the pumpkin farm, but
That will depend on the weather. We are expecting a storm. This marks the start of fall, besides the fact that the leaves are starting to turn colors.

Last weekend we went to the off price mall. Our twice yearly trek for some time to ourselves and our clothing shopping for the year. We save enough on clothes to pay for the hotel. We go during the off season so it is cheaper. We got 70 per cent off the last marked price on clothes. Of course, I had to hit the Carters outlet for the grand baby. It's a nice get away for little money in the scheme of things. I couldn't afford it on retirement income if I didn't economize on food.

While shopping yesterday, I met a guy in the egg isle buying eggs. I told him that there was a coupon for the eggs he was buying and there was flyers at the front of the store. He acted in-different. It gave me an idea. If all the people who aren't in to watching their bottom line on their food bill were to take advantage of all the store coupons and specials for one week and give the savings to the food bank, it would feed a lot of people. We all hope that we will never fall on hard times, but if we know how to economize on food,we will be prepared to face the challenge if it ever comes.

On to recipes:
Apples are in season. I got 5 pounds for 5 bucks yesterday. We like to have sliced apples with a drizzle of caramel sauce. Yesterday on the chew, they fixed sliced apples on a skewer that were dipped on caramel and nuts etc. Like a caramel apple, but easier to eat. I'm sure the recipe is on the Internet. It is really quick to spread a single pie crust om a cookie sheet, put apples with cinnamon, sugar, and cornstarch or flour in the middle of it and fold the edges over the filling. Bake it off until the crust is dome and the apples are tender. You cam add cranberries or blueberries.

I had a quick no fault pie crust recipe, but I can't remember it and didn't write it down. It was flour and fat and salt. A flour and water mixture was added until it came together. If I find it again, I will post it. If I gave this to someone, please let me know. It was on KING 5 TV when they had a morning show.

Apple crisp is really easy and nutritious. There is a recipe for apple pie on the Bisquick cookbook that my mother in law used to make often. It has a sour cream top crust. She always was a wonderful baker.

Apples cut the acidity of sauerkraut. Sausage and sauerkraut or spareribs and sauerkraut. My husband will not eat cabbage, but he loves sauerkraut. It is cheapest at big lots.

Apples and cinnamon in oatmeal for breakfast ?

I have an apple peeler I got from my mother. I use it for apples, but also for potatoes. It makes fast work of potatoes for scalloped potatoes or French fries.
French fries can be made on the oven. Toss them with olive oil . Season of you want, and bake them off at 375 or 400 degrees. Stir them half way through cooking. This works for red potatoes too. I add rosemary to the red potatoes.

Thanks for stopping by
please share on Facebook or twitter.

Jane





















No comments:

Post a Comment